How best to deal with loose bricks under window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bunch of loose bricks under an upstairs window which I have uploaded pictures of.

When taped, a big section of them moves as one, I've outlined this in blue in one of the pictures.

Should I remove the bricks and relay them, or just repoint around them?

IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_43432.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think that what you've exposed is an old double hung window opening that was badly filled in when the new frame was badly fitted.
The secure fixing of the frame should be your priority.
Do you have another exit window in that bedroom?

On the face of it, you could gradually remove a couple of bricks at a time from the same side, and then re-lay them.
Take care not to disturb the stone sill.
But whats happening on the outside wall face, is it sound? Can you post photos?

What drew your attention to this issue?

I think that what you've exposed is an old double hung window opening that was badly filled in when the new frame was badly fitted.
The secure fixing of the frame should be your priority.
Do you have another exit window in that bedroom?

On the face of it, you could gradually remove a couple of bricks at a time from the same side, and then re-lay them.
Take care not to disturb the stone sill.
But whats happening on the outside wall face, is it sound? Can you post photos?

What drew your attention to this issue?

What drew me to the issue was we had a new window fitted, they had to remove the plaster around the window to remove the old PVC frame, exposing those 2x4's. The plaster below the window was blown which I removed to re-plaster and found the bricks.

No there is no other window in that bedroom.

I think you're right that it originally was a double hung window, how should it have been filled?

The outside wall face is fine, the stone sill rests on the outside and inside wall.

Whoever fixed that frame was a clown. Its insecure therefore unsafe.
Typically, double hung openings are bricked up to provide the correct width dimensions for a modern frame.
PVC frames, for instance, can then be plugged & screwed into the brickwork.
My question about the outside was partly to see how the frame had been sealed?

I would suggest removing the frame and doing the job properly.

Sponsored Links
Whoever fixed that frame was a clown. Its insecure therefore unsafe.
Typically, double hung openings are bricked up to provide the correct width dimensions for a modern frame.
PVC frames, for instance, can then be plugged & screwed into the brickwork.
My question about the outside was partly to see how the frame had been sealed?

I would suggest removing the frame and doing the job properly.

The outside is sealed with foam and sealant. You're right that I should get them refitted, I suppose the window isn't very safe.

In terms of the bricks, would I have to remove each one and relay, as a pose to just repointing? The reason I ask is because the bricks in the middle of the blue lines are still firmly attached together, they move as one, and have unattached as one from the rest of the wall, so I thought it might be an option to repoint around the blue lines.

Do it properly, there's enough bodging already.
As long as the sill remains stable you will have no trouble pulling a few bricks from the centre - pull them first. Clean up, brick up and leave them for 48hrs and then do the others.

You say "them" are there more windows that have more or less been installed this way?

All bedrooms are required by Fire and Blg Regs to have a window that opens for fire escape.

Do it properly, there's enough bodging already.
As long as the sill remains stable you will have no trouble pulling a few bricks from the centre - pull them first. Clean up, brick up and leave them for 48hrs and then do the others.

You say "them" are there more windows that have more or less been installed this way?

All bedrooms are required by Fire and Blg Regs to have a window that opens for fire escape.

Really appreciate all the advice, I've discovered this whole house has been bodged over the years.

Am I okay to use cement mortar or should I use lime? And when you say centre, do you mean the centre in between the blue lines?

There is 1 other installed this way, they all open fully though.

Any mortar.
Yes.

Are you referring to a top opener? The frame in the photos appears to be a fixed light?

Last edited:
Any mortar.
Yes.

Are you referring to a top opener? The frame in the photos appears to be a fixed frame?

Thank!

Yes there's a top opener, the image only shows the bottom 1/3 of the frame, the Window's approx 6ft tall.

Top openers rarely meet the Regs in my experience. Plus, if you attempted to leave by that frame the odds are that the whole shebang would collapse on you.

Top openers rarely meet the Regs in my experience. Plus, if you attempted to leave by that frame the odds are that the whole shebang would collapse on you.

:( I'll just try and not set anything on fire.

In your opinions, what's the best way to remove the centre bricks without breaking them, as they're firmly attached to the surrounding ones?

Should I just remove all the bricks in between the blue lines at once - as they're completely separated from the sill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back