how can I check the build quality on permitted development with change of use

Some images of the property
upload_2019-5-9_20-46-36.png

upload_2019-5-9_20-47-1.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There is no way this would of got planning permission as a residential bungalow on the green belt. That’s s why they got a certificate of Lawfulness to build as a gym, Then rented it out for 4 years. after this period they got planning approval for change of use to a residential dwelling by stating it had been used as ancillary accommodation to the main house now a total of 9 years after it was built they are selling it with full legal planning permission for a house.

Some might call this underhand others might call it clever they have certainly worked the planning system

The seller has now provided details of the builder who is willing to have a conversation with me what questions should I ask
Repeating what others have said already but , as I said, that building would require bldg. regs approval so ask the builder if an application was made and, if so, for copies of the paperwork from bldg. control ,copies of the approved drawings and specification. That should provide you with information on the building construction (in theory anyway !) A survey and report by a building surveyor if necessary.

I spoke with builder and he confirmed that building was built to building standards of a house But he Hasn’t kept any documentation he also stated there were no building inspections

I have now asked the seller for a Building Control regularisation to be carried out.This means the council will send building control to carry out tests if all ok they will sign off on building control. The fees for this are from £500 - £2000 and it’s possible to complete within 2 weeks, there will of course be additional costs preparing for and making good after the inspection The seller will have to pay all fees and costs. My decision is if they are not willing to complete this and get sign off I will walk away.

Sponsored Links
I spoke with builder and he confirmed that building was built to building standards of a house But he Hasn’t kept any documentation he also stated there were no building inspections

I have now asked the seller for a Building Control regularisation to be carried out.This means the council will send building control to carry out tests if all ok they will sign off on building control. The fees for this are from £500 - £2000 and it’s possible to complete within 2 weeks, there will of course be additional costs preparing for and making good after the inspection The seller will have to pay all fees and costs. My decision is if they are not willing to complete this and get sign off I will walk away.

The property looks lovely, if you really like it its worth getting over the hurdles.

I wonder if the sellers didnt get building regs because they didnt want to alert planning they were building a house not a gym.

In the context of the value of the build, building regs cost wouldve been tiny.

The builder is probably being honest: a builder that can build a new property would most likely spend his whole time doing extensions so would likely build to the correct standard by default.

Of course new build has a tighter spec than extensions, including lower elemental u calues, air tightness test etc. Its possible there could be some areas of non compliance.

I can appreciate you want sign off before committing -I cant see any other sensible option. Who pays ultimately depends on the selling price vs your other options availabke on the market.

That has been built of a foundation of fraud. So if there are no building regulation approvals, what are the chances that it's been built properly and compliant? Slim.

Nice and shiny though.

Would be interesting to know seller's reaction to building control's involvement.

Blup

It would help if the builder could give you some idea of the construction used :!: Presume they remember the type of floor, walls ,roof including insulation etc even if they don't have a written specification. Why not ask them .
Can't understand why anybody would build something like that without the necessary approvals.

Hi All
I have decided not to buy this property just too risky
Thanks for all of the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back