How can i get this screw to stay in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cabinet and one of the handles has come off. I can pull one of the screws out of one side of it but i don't know how i'm going to get it back in. Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Here's a normal handle on the cabinet;

20210410_141129[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
Here is the loose handle (removed from the drawer) with screw exposed;

20210410_141235[1].jpg

and here is the view showing the screw hanging out of the actual drawer;

20210410_141316[1].jpg

the screw you show is not a wood screw. It is a machine scew, held in place with a nut or similar object.

so you look inside the wooden thing, and there will be a nut or similar, which you undo with a spanner or other tool

Sponsored Links
When you find the nut, (or a similar suitable one), push the screw partly in to the hole and then use the slackness, (wobble), to fit the handle back easily.
Once the loop handle is in place tighten up the nut to draw the faceplate back into position. You may need to fit washers inside the drawer under the nuts.

The nut will be an old imperial thread, not a modern metric one. You might have to try a few different thread types to find the right one.

Just put some Araldite or suchlike in the hole, put that thing in, wiggle it and then let it go off

That may work. If its the expanding type, you may need to secure the fixing and the handle plate to stop it being pushed outwards as it dries.

the screw you show is not a wood screw. It is a machine scew, held in place with a nut or similar object.

so you look inside the wooden thing, and there will be a nut or similar, which you undo with a spanner or other tool

No there is no nut down that hole.

When you find the nut, (or a similar suitable one), push the screw partly in to the hole and then use the slackness, (wobble), to fit the handle back easily.
Once the loop handle is in place tighten up the nut to draw the faceplate back into position. You may need to fit washers inside the drawer under the nuts.

There is no nut lodged down that hole.

The nut will be an old imperial thread, not a modern metric one. You might have to try a few different thread types to find the right one.

There is no nut in that hole. I have to use a new nut?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back