How can I make XP.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) ...Spend more time on foreground tasks than it does.
If it's copying 2GB of files say, it takes ages to do anything else. Can I shift the balance?

and
2) When I plug a CF card into a reader on a USB port, Adobe P'shop Starter Edition always starts up. Where is that set, cos I want it not to start automatically?

Thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
1) ...Spend more time on foreground tasks than it does.
If it's copying 2GB of files say, it takes ages to do anything else. Can I shift the balance?

and
2) When I plug a CF card into a reader on a USB port, Adobe P'shop Starter Edition always starts up. Where is that set, cos I want it not to start automatically?

Thanks chaps

1) Don't think you can. The priority that a program is run at is determined by a combination of what if any priority a program requests, normally just bog standard priority, also the OS will pre-emptively give the program a number of CPU cycles before it's execution is pre-empted (i.e. giving another program a look in) One small thing you can do to increase the priority a bit, is to not minimise the task, this will give it a higher priority.

2) CF Card ? This will be summat to do with the Autorun feature. But I don't know what a CF card is.

2)

Try opening windows explorer. Right click on the drive letter assigned to the compact flash card and click on properties. Select the AutoPlay tab then under Action choose "Take no action".

If that doesn't work then look in the root directory of the CF card for a file called autorun.inf and try renaming it so that XP no longer finds it.

Sponsored Links
Back