How can we insulate this external facing solid brick hall to landing stair wall?

Hi again!

So I've spoken to the plasterer further and he says that whilst he's here, for the cost of materials, he can also panel half way up the walls in the hall, stairs and landing in timber or lime and run lime plaster cornicing that he knows how to in situ around the hall ceiling downstairs (has sent me a video of him doing this in stately homes including reapplying laths and paneling!). His reviews say he is an artisan and takes great pride in his work and he's worked for some Lord in Cornwall!! Ha ha)

I had another lime plaster firm vet him too and they said he seemed fine to go with. I've also spoken to him for 40mins on the phone and he's very knowledgeable.

I think if he can panel and cornice whilst here, as well as fix the creaks in the stairs (now the underneath is revealed), can re make the loft hatch and a fit a new insulated hatch; lime downstairs, plasterboard up. (I'm tempted to see if he can use magnetic plaster on the plasterboard upstairs too on a few walls for fun) then it would be a sound investment, given that we hope to stay here for the foreseeable future.

He does want me to start damping down the brick walls though that will be being limed. I've not dared yet though as am worried about condensation working it's way into the loft space and need a spray bottle on a stick to get up high.

I'm comparing this spend to a new bathroom or kitchen, as the rest of the house only needs upgrades 'as and when' as has a new kitchen extension and is in decent nick. New bathrooms all done by last owner. The hall is the last neglected area.

I have a week on Monday till he comes and he's working with his brother, so a 2 man team. Oh and he's knocking off the external 2 brick height cement going round the house and redoing it in lime. That's in the quote costing £480. Currently it's holding a few spots of damp when it gets wet.

I'm feeling slightly less stressed but I have the electrician coming the same day as him who's work he says will take 1½ days and the plasterer had booked himself a week with us. It seems tight to me!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back