How can you tell if your water softener is working ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Monarch Ultimate Midi and haven't really noticed any difference since it was fitted (a week ago)

So how can you tell if your water softener is working ?

Ta

Sponsored Links
wash your hands with soap. If it's working, you'll know.

You should notice almost straight away. you can nuy kits for testing the hardness, if you didn't get one with it.

Is the bypass closed.

Have you noticed a slight drop in flow rate.

Was the softener commissioned and set up to the user demand.

Thanks guys - will check bypass but pretty sure its closed

I plugged it in and hit the 'regenerate now' button - it seemed to make some grinding noises - didn't see any other options (don't have instructions)

Do B&Q sell the hardness kits ?

Sponsored Links
Doh - Just got the instructions online and I reckon the installer didn't set the hardness ....

I will check tonight - thanks guys

Normally a water softener fills the cold water storage cistern, and is not connected to the kitchen (mains) tap. As a result, when first installed, you won't see any difference until all the "old" hard water in the cold tank has been displaced by "new" softened water. How long that takes depends on the size of your cold (and hot) tanks and the rate at which you use stored water.

ah ha ! The installer did set the hardness but I'd turned it off until we bought some salt so it lost its settings

Hopefully that is all it was - we shall see over the next day or 2

Thanks for your help folks

If you haven't got a water test kit, how did you know the hardness setting?? :confused:

They must have a fantastic database cos the water hardness can vary from village to village especially here in East Anglia!! ;)

Try and experiment with them too.

My softener is set a fair way below what the test kit told me to use.

You only need it to be as soft as is needed to prevent scale forming on you shower screen. lower setting = less salt consumption.

We had the Monarch Midi installed 3yrs ago. It was supplied with a kit to test the hardness off water ie add drops off green liquid to untreated water until changed colour. Look at table for drops added to setting required on softener.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back