Monarch Midi Meter Water softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently woken to my hallway being full of water thanks to the outlet pipe from the Monarch Midi Meter water softener in my house having broken off. So water pouring out the back ruining wooden floor. Not very impressed.

A friend mentioned that a Megaflow can only be used with a couple of makes of water softeners as the pressure is too much. I switched over to an unvented system in July this year. (Not a megaflow)

At the time I was switching over I was informed I am being supplied with water at 4bar. Flow rate in room with softener 26L/min. Dont know water pressure there.

So, is this just bad luck (unit was installed in '07) or probably due to now using mains pressure?

If i fit a flow limiter, how viable is a mains fed water system - is the performance a bit rubbish?

I guess it depends where you live, but does a water softener really help that much?

Sponsored Links
All water softeners work on mains pressure. Typically up to 6 bar before requiring a pressure reducing valve. The softener is fitted before any cylinder so that has no bearing.

Ok, so just bad luck then and I should just buy some new pipes?

Have you checked the max working pressure for the water softener?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Company saying if water pressure exceeds 5bar then a limiter is required. Also they say a PSK Kit is required - heavy duty pipes.

As mine is 4bar they suggest I use limiters.

Anyone any experience of these products - can I attach and forget?

Hows about the pressure limiters affect on water system? I guess if on avergae its 4 bar coming in then I shouldnt see a noticebale drop in 'performance' round the house...

ive got a coral premier with an rm stelflow unvented.

I cant see why you need limiters if the max working is 5bar and your mains is 4bar. there is also a pressure reducing balancer on the unvented which usually takes the pressure down to 3 bar. so if you do fit a limiter I doubt youll notice any difference round the house.

im not sure on the monarch but I know they do a high flow version for unvented setups. also what size is the incoming main? as if it is 15mm you wont get enough flow to over power the softener. are the flexi hoses 22mm or 15mm?

The problem is that the pressure may be 4 bar when tested but can rise up to 10 bar or higher in the middle of the night!

Tony

The problem is that the pressure may be 4 bar when tested but can rise up to 10 bar or higher in the middle of the night!

Tony

Yes, I had heard that pressure can rise during the night (when my flooding occurred).

The helpfuly lady at Monarch said the 'PSK' kit uses larger 22mm pipes.

Im just concerned that i put the new pipes and limiter on, then something else fails and the next related company says "oh yeah, you need these for that pressure"

I guess water alarm in the Utility room? Anyone aware of practical versions of this?

My advice would be to fit a pressure reducing valve AND a pressure release valve after it as they can leak slightly and allow the outlet pressure to get high. Parts about £40 and fitting costs although its all simple and suitable for good DIY.

You have really been lucky as washing machine hoses often burst when the pressure is high.

Your further good luck is having a high mains pressure. Here in London the pressure is often little more than 1.0 bar and people spend up to £2000 to have incoming water supply pipes upgraded.

Tony Glazier

My advice would be to fit a pressure reducing valve AND a pressure release valve after it as they can leak slightly and allow the outlet pressure to get high. Parts about £40 and fitting costs although its all simple and suitable for good DIY.

You have really been lucky as washing machine hoses often burst when the pressure is high.

Your further good luck is having a high mains pressure. Here in London the pressure is often little more than 1.0 bar and people spend up to £2000 to have incoming water supply pipes upgraded.

Tony Glazier

Ah washing machine, should i change the pipes on the back of that also? Specific pipes?

Anything else that should be changed with my switch over to unvented?

Tony

Yes, I had heard that pressure can rise during the night (when my flooding occurred).

The helpfuly lady at Monarch said the 'PSK' kit uses larger 22mm pipes.

Im just concerned that i put the new pipes and limiter on, then something else fails and the next related company says "oh yeah, you need these for that pressure"

I guess water alarm in the Utility room? Anyone aware of practical versions of this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-wd4sesf-water-leak-alarms-pack-of-4/9595f?_requestid=339451

don't know what there like.

All I think you should do is fit a pressure reducing valve and PRV.

Then the existing WMC hoses will be suitable as they rarely burst at the normally experienced mains pressures up to about 3 bar.

Another potential problem is when mixer showers are fed from excessive pressures. It can cause leaks between hot and cold internally.

Tony

All I think you should do is fit a pressure reducing valve and PRV.

Then the existing WMC hoses will be suitable as they rarely burst at the normally experienced mains pressures up to about 3 bar.

Another potential problem is when mixer showers are fed from excessive pressures. It can cause leaks between hot and cold internally.

Tony

Ok, thanks all.

Pressure reducing vlave and PRV it is, with the PSK kit. And proabbly try one of those water alarms - see how long it takes the wife to spill some water on it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back