How close can a garage be to a puclic footpath/road?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a cencrete sectional garage in the garden when I bought my house but it was in an unsafe condition so I removed it. It was directly behind the house with an 8mtr concrete driveway infront of it.

Now I want a new garage but dont want it to be behind the house. I would like it to be here:
Garage1.jpg

I currently have big double gates leading out onto the side street level with the footpath, they open inwards and I drive the car out from there. Could my garage door go where the gates are now?

Also are there different rules for different garages? EG, concrete sectional ones, metal ones and brick built ones. I looked on the planning portal but could only see something about the garage not going past the principle elevation which as far as I can see is the front of the house.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. You probably need planning permission, and would not get it, for building in front of the 'building line' ie the front of the house

2. It will depend on what type of road (A, B, unclassified etc) what requirements are for vehicle access, you might have to provide enough space in front of the garage for you to be able to park there and open the door. Or even be able to drive in, turn, and drive forwards out, which needs either a turning circle area in the garden or a turntable.

3. You have to consider visibility for cars entering/leaving the side street as well.

1. You probably need planning permission, and would not get it, for building in front of the 'building line' ie the front of the house

The building line... referring to as the "principal elevation"? How are you so sure that planning permission would not be granted on those grounds? I had a two-storey extension approved, which was a corner plot. It just means you can't build the proposals under PD.

The building line... referring to as the "principal elevation"? How are you so sure that planning permission would not be granted on those grounds? I had a two-storey extension approved, which was a corner plot. It just means you can't build the proposals under PD.

Should have put another *probably* in there.

It's something planners generally don't like, especially in close proximity to other houses, and this one looks like a semi-det or end terrace.

Sponsored Links
It wont go past the front of the house, but will be off the the side/rear as per the drawing.

Is the principal elevation just the line of the front of the house or would it be the line of the side and rear as well?

It wont go past the front of the house, but will be off the the side/rear as per the drawing.

Is the principal elevation just the line of the front of the house or would it be the line of the side and rear as well?

Might be the side, as you're on a corner.

Extending at the rear usually isn't a problem. But the only definitive answer you will get is the one after you've put in the planning application and bought the councillor a new conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back