How dangerous is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first post here...it IS about a boiler eventually I promise.

I'm a tenant in a 6-way houseshare in a large, 3-storey house with a basement room. On the ground floor level the landlord is having an extension built out of the back of the house by extending an already-existing room with a boiler in it. The room has essentially been built but is very much open without windows and doors so is well aerated.

The room has basically been shut off (the door normally closed) for the last few days so none of use had realised that the flue from the boiler is now in the middle of the (newly extended) room, spewing out carbon monoxide (the whole time we've continued to have heating). This strikes me as extreme negligence not to say stupidity on the part of the landlord/building company (a legal issue not for these boards I realise). We only found out today because someone happened to be coming from British Gas and couldn't believe his eyes; he's now "capped it" and we now have no heating in the middle of a cold November.

I know nothing about boilers. My question is: just how dangerous and negligent is this? What are the possible consequences physically? Is there any possibility we can have had carbon monoxide poisoning beyond this one room?

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for these sorts of questions. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Sponsored Links
I can see a compensation claim coming on here.

If I were you I would buy a digital CO detector for around £25 especially with a landlord like this around.

It would appear the landlord and or the builders are negligent....you may want to check out some of the other requirements....

Contact the local planning office and speak to building control about the current situation.

Do you have a current Landlord Gas Safety Record?

Are you aware that properties such as yours may fall under the HMO regulations ie must be licensed and have extra fire precautions.

Sue the a**e off him and get your landlord sent back to his country of origin ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back