How deep is mains stop cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to get to my mains stop cock through the small cast iron flap in the street.

I've spent 30 minutes with hand down there clearing out the mud.

I'm now at arms length on my side and fumbled around with a screwdriver and still cant find it .

Right next to it is a new style metered plastic one, but its my neighbours, mine is unmetered so s old style one.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
75cm .... uuhhm, my arms not that long!

Will the water board come out and clear it to make stop cock visible?

Or could I say ask for a meter - let them fir a nice new plastic stop cock and then change my mind within the first year to revert to un-metered?

(I'm in Thames Water)

You would be so lucky,if you want it cleared then there is a fee,they will install a meter for you free of charge if you ask for it but no going back once its fitted

Get proper stop cock key or plumber to come around and sort it for you,whats wrong with your internal stopcock?

Sponsored Links
Some water boards will let you change back from a meter. My neighbour (Bristol) has just had a meter fitted, and he said that he could change back in the first year if he wasn't happy.

A large serving spoon firmly taped to a broom handle makes a useful tool for the job.

Depending on exactly what you're digging out of the stop tap box, a loop of iron wire around the bowl of the spoon can help stop the spoil from falling off as you lift it out of the hole.

Some water boards will let you change back from a meter

Yes, have checked Thames Water will.

whats wrong with your internal stopcock?

Want to check its cranked right open a street to check flow/pressure for unvented cylinder or combi.

TicklyT - Like the spoon idea ... been taking out clumps of mud with my hands, but cant go any deeper.

Might be time for an upgrade from your lead or copper supply to 25mm/32mm poly.

I already have 32mm poly into the house ... it was built mid 70's

All my neigbours seem to have converted to metered, I seem to be the only one left with an older style street stop cock :(

When I come across this, I use a pressure washer ( nrv fitted ) to clean and loose up mud then I suck it out with wet/dry hoover with narrow copper nozzle. It work every time and no more dirty arm.:cool:

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back