how do I access the scart on my pc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Medion PC and the video card has various connections. I would like to connect my old VHS video machine to this and go through some tapes. I do not really want to buy any other leads or convertors so I am hoping that the fact it has a scart connection means this is possible with what I already have.

I connected everything and started a tape playing, thinking that either switching on the VHS machine or pressing play would kick my PC into doing something but it just rudely ignored my VHS machine.

I thought of one thing, could it be that this scart is only for output?

Is there any software I should have or can download that will let me check input sources to try and find the signal etc?

I also have a scart lead with the 3 phono plugs (red yellow and white plugs)and I have connections for these on the front of my pc, how would I access this input to see it on my PC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What model is the pc / video card? You could try windows movie maker if it's installed on your pc, see if you can select the scart as an option but I suspect it's output only.

What model is the pc / video card? You could try windows movie maker if it's installed on your pc, see if you can select the scart as an option but I suspect it's output only.

Cheers for that ok I edited my post is the scart with phono bit I added any help?

Also I have Vista and Movie maker but cannot see where to select scart can you advise any more on this please.

I would imagine s-video connection at both ends would be the better bet. Never seen a pc/graphics card with a scart socket.

Sponsored Links
If you do file -> capture video then if there are any video inputs you should get the option to choose one.

Nothing obvious in my device manager, under imaging devices(probably closest to what I am looking for) it show just my scanner and my web cam.

The thing with Medion PC's I have found, and I have had 3 now, is they are all full of features and connections with all the software preloaded, i.e. they are pretty well organised. In one I did have a tv tuner card but not this one.

In one I had a program called Power cinema that let me select inputs and watch the tv tuner, but this one looks as if they have changed that and now they include Home cinema instead, which contains 4 programs within it, but none that seem to let me select even the phono connections on the front as a source yet previous experience tells me these PC's don't have sockets without software to use them, with this make. I have tried Windows movie maker but that does not seem to offer a source selection (I am using Vista).

Looking at All Programs/startup, I have been all through the possibilities but cannot find anything installed.

I suspect the scart will be only output now, thinking about it, i.e. arn't video cards for output only but just with several offerings of connector?

The phono connectors I have on the front are contained within a plate (don't know what the right name for this is) that has, USB connectors, firewire and camera card readers, if that helps?

AFAIK no PC video card will directly support input from a video recorder/player's Scart socket. If you go to www.amazon.co.uk and put Video to USB Converter into the search bar, many options, starting at under £10 will come up. I bought one for around £17 which was complete with leads and scart to phono converters.

Back