How do I boost pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction?

How do I boost the water pressure of our house?

We have our own private water supply from a spring and reservoir in our field.

Although the water flows well, It isn’t quite enough pressure to supply an electric shower if you turn it up high. Therefore, I’ve been putting up with a very weak shower for a while now.

I am currently undertaking a substantial renovation, expansion and modernisation of the house and will end up with 3 bathroom/en-suites showers in total, and feel I need to get the water pressure up so that they can all work properly!

is there a device or type of automatic pump that I can install to the supply of the house that will increase the pressure when required.

If somebody could suggest a product that I could install, I’d be very gratefull!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have the room it might be worth looking at a cold water storage tank in the loft?

Hi!

sorry, should have added that there is a water tank in our loft!!

But (with my limited plumbing knowledge) after connecting the shower to the water tank at first, then on the water supply to the house, didn’t improve the pressure enough to have the single shower on full blast, let alone introducing more.

I’m hoping to have a power shower or two in the new bathrooms so I will certainly need to up the pressure.

I will have a look at the earlier suggestion of the booster system. That is the sort of solution I was expecting.

Also thinking that could keep a low pressure line to fill the tank in the loft though, so the higher pressure system only does the essentials?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are looking to use power showers then they have a built in pump so feeding them from the cistern in the attic & hot water cylinder would be fine.

If you have an attic tank though then you could just use a brass whole house pump. The trouble you have here though is that electric showers should be mains pressure fed, they don't really like gravity or pumped water supplies as they aren't usually a constant, especially at start up.

Hi!

sorry, should have added that there is a water tank in our loft!!

But (with my limited plumbing knowledge) after connecting the shower to the water tank at first, then on the water supply to the house, didn’t improve the pressure enough to have the single shower on full blast, let alone introducing more.

I’m hoping to have a power shower or two in the new bathrooms so I will certainly need to up the pressure.

I will have a look at the earlier suggestion of the booster system. That is the sort of solution I was expecting.

Also thinking that could keep a low pressure line to fill the tank in the loft though, so the higher pressure system only does the essentials?

Thanks
A twin head shower pump will increase the water pressure for the shower. You'll need to look at the size of the water tank in the attic though to make sure its big enough to prevent the pump sucking it dry.

If you want better pressure throughout the house, you could install a whole house pump.

However, if you've got a tank in the loft i suspect you've only got the pressure problem upstairs.

Ok cool!!

Thank you!

Didn’t appreciate how power showers worked! Expected them to need a good supply that they would boost. Nice to know they are self sufficient! Thanks for that.

I’ll take all these points and do more research!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back