How do i calculate bending,shear strength and deflection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know how to calculate UB sections for a beam with a UDL (fully restrained) and a beam with only a point load (only restrained at the connections) by considering bending strength and shear strength and deflection - calcultions and information

Sponsored Links
I would like to know how to calculate UB sections for a beam with a UDL (fully restrained) and a beam with only a point load (only restrained at the connections) by considering bending strength and shear strength and deflection - calcultions and information
Best to take a 4yr degree course in something like Civil Engineering then work for a small consultancy for a couple of years..

Or read BS5950:part1 for more detailed information on bending moment/deflection design..

It's not important as I don't think BC will look at your calculations unless you are a registered SE.

Let me explain... I've already done the 4year degree course thanks but Miss Hood, our degree student actually posted the question as she has some coursework on this subject. I reckoned Shytalkz or someone equally talented could answer this question much better than I could.

Sponsored Links
It's not important as I don't think BC will look at your calculations unless you are a registered SE.

they only look at the calcs... if they even do that. and no such thing as a registered se.... but your calcs must work......

they are not that stupid..........

Let me explain... I've already done the 4year degree course thanks but Miss Hood, our degree student actually posted the question as she has some coursework on this subject. I reckoned Shytalkz or someone equally talented could answer this question much better than I could.

so should you not know......

depends on what standard you are designing for.....

as you should know... there are many.

Joe

There are several calculations to be done, in a set order and it's not a 5 minute thing to explain to someone who is not conversant with beam design

IIRC, the Chudley construction handbook (standard text for students) has a few pages on basic beam design, and for more in depth information, there is a book by Draycot - Structural Elements Design Manual. If you have access to the ihs technical indices at work/college, then both are downloadable from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back