How do I change the language?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change the language on a laptop back to English.
Can anybody tell me where the setting is?
Windows Vista.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you want to change the keyboard layout from a foreign layout to English (UK) or is the entire operating system in a foreign language?

To change the keyboard, go to Contol Panel, Region and Language, Keyboards and Language, and if it is not already there, add the English UK keyboard and set it as default.

If the entire Operating System is in a foreign language, Windows Vista will have to be completely reinstalled. Depending on the installation media you have, this may mean purchasing an English version.

Which version of windows vista?

Multilingual packs can only be used by Vista Enterprise and Ultimate, MUI's cannot be used by home editions.

Is it just your keyboard is not english or that dialog boxes etc are in a foreign language?

If you have home/premium and you really need to change the language , which is against MS's restrictions, then you can follow the second part of this

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Change-the-interface-language-of-your-Windows-Vista

I do not condone the use of the above.

It has Home Premium on it.
It's not just the keyboard, it's the whole shooting match, menus etc.
I have a Vista disc and the sticker is still on the bottom so I should be ok if I have to re-install it.
Does it look like that's what I have to do?

Sponsored Links
Somewhere on the cd/dvd it should state what the product id is.

Home Premium is language specific distribution so Im confused as to how you've managed to end up with a totally foreign windows including dialog boxes etc.

For Home Premium, you need to ensure you have an English install media before reinstalling.

It's on a machine that I came across over (legitimately).
Like I said, I do have an English copy of Vista, so I should be ok.
Thanks for your help.

Back