vista to xp

Sponsored Links
Do you have the XP cd?

Have you tried entering bios and changing to boot from disc rather than hard drive? Normally to get into bios its F2 or F10 or ESC/F2, it will normally say during start up.

Make sure you've saved everything you want to save on there to a separate drive or external one.

Sponsored Links
you would need a set of start up discs then you would need the discs for modem, printer, etc.
it can be done, but very hard to get the right software.

by the way i agree every time microsoft update the product gets worse
xp was better than vista
ME was better than XP
98 was better than ME!!

Do you have the XP cd? yes

Have you tried entering bios and changing to boot from disc rather than hard drive? Normally to get into bios its F2 or F10 or ESC/F2, it will normally say during start up. tryed that as well

Make sure you've saved everything you want to save on there to a separate drive or external one.

i get the press any key to boot from cd message

then the loading files message

then starting windows

then it tells me there is no hard disk connected

press f3 to quit :mad: :mad:

Your XP CD doesn't have the required drivers for your system. If it's not an SP2 or SP3 CD, try and get one, it is then you will need to integrate them to the CD.

What make and model is this laptop?

When you tried to format the drive were you logged in as administrator?

I know they hide the logon in vista and its a pain to find think this explains how.....on page 2.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...e_true_Administrator_account_in_Windows_Vista

In this you hopefully should be able to reformat, which you wont be able to do in just a user account.

You cannot reformat the system drive, for a good reason.

Gobo said:
Also when you tried booting from disc you just prioritized cd boot and didnt take the hard drive out of the sequence?

This would not prevent the installer from seeing the drive.

All I meant monkeh was he could do with a bit more explanation.

Is it possible to write the xp disc onto usb and then update it? Then boot from that?

That will not help. You do not need to wipe your drive.

You will need to download this and this.

Install nLite, and then insert your XP CD. Then copy the full contents of the CD to a folder on your hard drive. Run nLite and direct it to this folder.

From there, it will identify whether your CD includes any service packs. If it doesn't have at least SP2, download SP3 here.

The next screen will ask you which tasks you wish to perform. Select drivers and bootable ISO, if you need to install SP3, select service pack also.

The service pack page will come first, it's very self explanatory, just direct it towards the exe you downloaded.

For the drivers page, you will need to unpack the drivers from HP's site. If you don't already have Winzip, Winrar, or 7Zip, download 7Zip here. Now right click on sp37005.exe, go to the appropriate menu, and select 'extract here'. Now back to nLite, click on insert and select 'multiple driver folder', and direct it towards the sp37005 folder you just extracted. It'll ask you to pick a folder, there'll be only one choice. Select it. Now it'll list drivers. Make sure it's set to textmode, click the first item in the list, and hold shift and click the last.

Now on to the last page. Simply set it to create image mode, hit make ISO, and save it whereever you like. Once it's done, burn it to a CD, and you should have a working XP CD to install from.

Gobo said:
All I meant monkeh was he could do with a bit more explanation.

Is it possible to write the xp disc onto usb and then update it? Then boot from that?

Overly complicated. You just burn it to a CD.

Sponsored Links
Back