How do I check potterton puma 80 boiler pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I check if my boiler pump is spinning? I have verified that power is reaching the pump but I cannot feel/hear the pump spinning. Is the pump very quiet or should I definitely hear/feel the pump spinning.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Stick a screwdriver in your ear/on pump [think about which end!]. You should definitely hear a slight noise/vibration when it is on.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

You can also open the screw cap at the end. This will expose the end of the spindle (a small amount of water will leak out). you can touch this with your finger to feel rotation. If stuck, stick a screwdriver in to turn and free it.

On the puma model , the normal pump is a myson.Unscrew the black plastic cover , do this with boiler OFF .Once you have removed the cover , you will see a 4mm. nut . Pull the nut towards yourself and rotate it . If this can be rotated , turn on boiler .If pump is operational , you will see the nut turning rapidly ,also giving out noise .Next , turn boiler off and push nut towards pump and rotate clockwise , to engage .

Sponsored Links
just to make you feel better chris

chris is right he wasnt thinking

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Err....thanks, corgiman. Just need 19 more and I can go to bed happy. :rolleyes:

No worries Chris , even you cannot remember everything . Me , I have trouble asing this keyboard ,as you can see . Where:s my spectacles gone now , where is the wife , hope tomorrow will be easier .

Quite obvious Mike! If I can fix boilers then I can work out that one!

Your wife has gone off and taken your spectacles with her!

Wait and see if she is back tomorrow.

In amongst all the sidebars....
Even if you can hear the pump motor turning and / or see the end of the pump spindle going round, this does NOT necessarily mean that the pump is OK. Unfortunately, the impeller can become detached from the spindle, so that although the motor turns, nothing gets pumped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back