HOW DO I CHECK THE PUMP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as stated on earlier post when I turn on my central heating, the pilot light fires up but after a couple of seconds the pipes above the boiler begin to bang and flame dies down. The pilot light will then fire up again and the same thing happens. I have been told to check the pump. Sorry for sounding stupid but how do I do that and what am I looking for?

Thanks, Michelle.

Sponsored Links
Look in the FAQ on this site!

Its always better to post all you enquiries on the same problem within the original topic heading.

Tony

You can try measuring the resistance across live and neutral with it completely electrically isolated. But, even if this measurement seems reasonable the impeller might have become disconnected - you'll only know this if you remove the motor assembly from the casing.

So, I dunno really.

depending on the pump really as some have a big silver cover screw that you can undo to see if the pump is running. but you need need some rag and a bowl to hand thou.

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
You can try measuring the resistance across live and neutral with it completely electrically isolated. But, even if this measurement seems reasonable the impeller might have become disconnected - you'll only know this if you remove the motor assembly from the casing.

So, I dunno really.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I say change the pump

When I had a pump problem, I wired mine up seperately to see if it would run independantly.
I'm not suggesting you do this if you're not competant enough with electrics to do it.
It enabled me to see that the pump itself was faulty and non of the other electrics - as it was the first night in the house we'd just bought I had no heating and no previous knowledge of the install to work from.

Luckily it was summer so I just prevented the heating coming on and we were able to al least get hot water for the next morning.
Just what you want after spending the previous 14 hours moving house isn't it! :rolleyes:

Tony - there's nothing in the FAQ about testing pumps - perhaps you could write something?

I think that Chris H is the expert in writing those things.

Perhaps its in the Wiki ?

Its a bit confusing to have standard advice in both an FAQ and a Wickie!

Perhaps someone ( Chris H again ) should simplify it ? I would always vote for FAQ as not everyone knows about Wikis.

Tony

michelle1571 said:
Hi, as stated on earlier post when I turn on my central heating, the pilot light fires up but after a couple of seconds the pipes above the boiler begin to bang and flame dies down. The pilot light will then fire up again and the same thing happens. I have been told to check the pump. Sorry for sounding stupid but how do I do that and what am I looking for?

Thanks, Michelle.

I have not seen the earlier post and there is no link but what type of boiler /system do you have Michelle. ?

Your signature has been removed, please read the forum rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back