How do I cook....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Broccoli?
Grand daughter (4), wants her with her Sunday dinner which I am cooking and although I like it I've never cooked it before. Only had it when we have been out for lunch.
No fancy recipes, just plain good english cooking.
I'm thinking I just boil it for about 20 mins.
Is this right?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I nearly always cook sunday lunch and i gently boil broccoli for 20mins,her indoors never complains so it must be right.

I agree although, depending on how you like it, I would check it after 15 minutes if you don't want it too soft :D

Should also add don't go over the 20mins it tends to loose its flavour.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oompah and Kar, 20 mins on a gentle boil and check after 15 mins.
Grand daughter will give her verdict I'm sure! :LOL:
Will let you know later if she liked it.
Once again, thank you.

I like my broccoli to be a bit crispier, so if I was boiling it, it would be for about 8-10 mins in slightly salted water.
But I tend to steam it!

But its more for the benefit of his 4yr old grandaughters disconcerning taste if its undercooked she'll like it less than if overcooked.

Healthier to steam it. If boiling at least re-use the water to make the gravy, so you get some of the lost nutrients back on your plate.

Healthier to steam it. If boiling at least re-use the water to make the gravy, so you get some of the lost nutrients back on your plate.
Modern fad, steaming is,granny never steamed ort, boiled it dry maybe :LOL: agree with the gravy part though.

Boil broccoli in salted water for 4 to 7 minutes, or until crisp-tender

Steam broccoli in a steamer over boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes.

Microwave broccoli in a covered container, with a little water, for 3 to 5 minutes.

Sauté broccoli with garlic, olive oil and red pepper flakes for 5 minutes.

Stir-fry broccoli florets with garlic and ginger for 3 to 5 minutes.

http://tinyurl.com/363t2ky

Those are simple recipes. What I was trying to show was the cooking times. Broccoli only takes a few minutes, any more and it's just a mush.
But of course everybody is entitled to eat a mush, if they so wish.

I found a good way to start my youngest off on broccoli (would not touch it initially) was to bake a 'broccoli cheese' as opposed to the cauliflower version. I did mix the 2 occasionally.

Not really relevant to the OP's topic but just thought I'd share it.

P46.

Well, lightly boiled for 11 minutes and the verdict was;

"Can I have some more please grandad?" :LOL:
She ate 3 florets about the size of a standard egg cup, even my other grand daughter who is 2 had 1 and she nodded that she liked it when asked. :LOL:

All in all a successful 15 minutes eating for 2½ hours work! :eek:
5 adults, 2 children, 1 dog and a pile of clean plates at the end of it.
It was worth the preparation.
And to round it off we are just waiting for the grand daughters 'Postman Pat' cakes to come out of the oven. She mixed the ingredients and even managed to break the egg without getting any shell in all by herself then spooned them into the cases. Grandad just had to put them in the oven and set the timer because, "I'm not allowed to touch the oven in case I get burned grandad."
Such small simple pleasures bring so much joy.
Thank you all once again for your 'suggestions' even Stivino's. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back