How do I create a vaulted ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a Victorian property and I'm looking to create a vaulted ceiling in our main upstairs bedroom. This would take up half the loft space. The roof is slate and isn't felted. We have just had all the ridges and led flashing redone though around chimney as well as a number of slates replaced. There is one roof truss in this room which I thought my look nice as a feature within the ceiling space. There is a chimney also the the edge of the room.

What is involved in creating this vaulted ceiling? I'm guessing its bit just a case of cutting existing joists and reframing, boarding, lighting and plastering?

Any expert advice on how to attack this project would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing its bit just a case of cutting existing joists and reframing, boarding, lighting and plastering?

Not quite so simple.

In removing the ceiling, you may be removing lateral restraint (ties) to the rafters, which will then have a tendency to push out on the walls.That issue would need to be addressed first.

You also need to consider insulating the sloping part of your ceiling, which will entail deepening the rafters to fit the insulation board in.

Would you be notifying the council about this?

Ok - I understand what your saying about the joists. I would of course notify the local authority if that's what I needed to do.

I'm an renovating the whole house and was just trying to get an idea of how bigger job this actually was and what it might cost. I'd then make a decision on whether to do it or not.

Sponsored Links
TV makeover shows strike again.

You need to put a ridge beam in to hold the roof up, or two beams to act as purlins part way down each slope

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back