How do i demolish this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have planning permission for an extension and I am trying to keep my costs down. In order to build the extension I need to demolish an existing single story, flat roofed out building. This is quite close to my neighbours conservatory which I don't want to damage. Having never demolished anything before I don't know where or how to start. If anyone could give me any sound advice that would be great.

Pictures are in a post below :) (thanks Freddy)

Sponsored Links
Your links don't work.

Better to create an album under your profile and link them in from there. makes it easier to read the thread too as they won't then open in another tab.

Sponsored Links
Start by taking the felt off, the best tool for this is a spade or shovel, though not the sort that cost a fiver at B&Q, drive the spade in under the felt, there are usually three layers, then prize up, you wiil also need a couple of decent nail bars and a hammer, once the felt is out of the way you can see the boards and use your nail bars to lift them, use the nail bars together.

DON'T LEVER ANYTHING DOWN TOWARDS YOUR FACE!! Something will give unexpectedly and you will break your nose or worst.

DON'T LEVER WHERE WHEN THE FELT RIPS OR SOMETHING SIMILAR YOU GO FLYING OVER THE GUTTER!!

Isolate any services first...ie electrics and water.

Remove the roof covering, deck, and joists.

Remove windows.

Erect staging inside and start removing brickwork slowly and carefully untill you get to a safe working height.

Keep your feet clear, fill the skip as you go.

If you keep the rubble separate from the wood and felt you should get a better deal from the skip company for rubble only.

Thanks for the help everyone. I figured from the top down, but just needed the simple instructions like 'remove felt' etc. I know its a simple job in reality, but I needed it spelling out :)

Thanks again!

Try not to create a huge pile of rubble everywhere, you will only twist an ankle on it or step on a nail. Dissasembly is more like what you want to do rather than demolition.

Having said that, invest in a high quality and very large sledge hammer :)

If you only have a small gap between you and your neighbours conservatory you could buy some lengths of timber stand them up in the gap and then fix some ply to act as a shield.

best and safest way is to.
turn off water sparks at house and disconnect that end.
start byy stripping the roof keeping felt in its own and wood on its own.
windows ect this way you have it all sorted as you got No if your up for the challenge of taking it down brick by brick and cleaning them you can reuse then saving money of sell them to a reclaimers wont get much but youll still get payed.
if not get some platform to wor off that start taking it down in on its self so your putting all the ruble into the old building this way you got one big pile on it own.

some people will take your rubble for free as hardcore if you advertise it
but think of others ect safety and dust if your cutting sledge hammer or even digger use water fed cutter or hose pipe on the rubble

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back