How do i do a hardwire???????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i just got a 24volt jump starter and when i got it home to charge it it said do NOT use standard 13amp plug. I phone the shop back up and the guy said i would need to do a hardwire on my fusebox just like a cooker, do i get thick wire and wire it to the same fuse is the cooker in my fusebox or what other way can i do this to charge the jump starter?
Thanks for any info
Keith

Sponsored Links
What sort of current rating does it require? I take it that its for starting lorries/busses or the likes? Might be better to look into having an adequately rated Ceeform socket installed.

Hello,

Can you tell us the make/model of this 'jump start' unit please.

Many Thanks,

Ed

Hi there, it is a clarke bc520n start/charge, battery booster it say's
model number bc520n- 33amps.
This is from the instructions these chargers must be connected to a supply having a rated capacity of greater than 13amps. A normal 13amp(BS1363) plug must NOT be used.

Sponsored Links
Hi spark it is for a HGV horsebox what is a Ceeform socket and how easy is it to install?
Thanks

Ceeforms, also known by their MK name Commando are the industrial type sockets. They are not really difficult to install, they come in water resistant versions which can be installed outside. The normal sizes for these are 16A, 32A or 63A. 240v ones are blue.
The only problem there is yours appears to need a 33A supply, so the hardwire to a 40A supply may be a nicer option.

Hi spark would it be ok to wire the lead into the cooker fuse and charge the charger as needed with the commando type. On the fuse for the cooker it is 35amp that is the highest fuse in the box.

No, you should not share the same fuse as the cooker. Doing so would overload the circuit when both the charger and cooker are in use, and even if you don't plan on running both at the same time it's still bad practice.

From your description so far I'd hazard a guess you have an old Wylex Standard or similar fusebox with no spare ways, in which case you'll likely be needing a new consumer unit. Perhaps you can provide us with some more detail?

you mean one like this:

MKK5041.JPG

No you can't

The socket is still only rated to a maximum of 13A

You charger uses much more than this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back