How do I drill a level hole ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I will be using a long drill bit to go through a wall to the outside. The depth is about 6-8". Any tips on how to make sure I am making a level hole ?

Sponsored Links
Not having any friends or relatives with x-ray vision I was wondering if anyone had a technical or handy tip for this. I suppose I can ask my wife to look from the side while I look from the top.

Sponsored Links
Buy a new drill with a built in level, I believe B&D do one. Although, you shouldn't really be struggling to get a level hole over that short a distance. Plonk a small level on top of the drill, you should be able to hold it steady from there.

nstreet said:
Buy a new drill with a built in level, I believe B&D do one. Although, you shouldn't really be struggling to get a level hole over that short a distance. Plonk a small level on top of the drill, you should be able to hold it steady from there.

Fantasic unless you hammer drilling, the vibration breaks the bouble into 100 tiny boubles :LOL:

Hitachimad said:
nstreet said:

Fantasic unless you hammer drilling, the vibration breaks the bouble into 100 tiny boubles :LOL:

I hope its not an SDS plus machine, can you imagine trying to hold a 4kg one steady, whilst holding the level. There would be holes all over the wall, it would look like somebody had shot a machine gun at it. :p

Just use the level initially. If the drill can't be kept level after that, best call in a tradeperson. :eek:

Quote "Plonk a small level on top of the drill, you should be able to hold it steady from there. "

What's to say that the top of the drill moulding is flat and true with the spinning bit? A spirit level is worthless unless it's fitted by the manufacturer.

If the hole needs to be "that" level, then the easiest way is to do what you already said and get someone to watch you from the side while you watch from the top.
Gcol

If the hole needs to be "that" level, then the easiest way is to do what you already said and get someone to watch you from the side while you watch from the top.
Gcol[/quote]

Ever tried agreeing with your wife whether a picture frame is square on a wall; left a bit, up a bit, right a bit.

6mm hole will end up 16mm. :p

bathroomswap said:
Hello, I will be using a long drill bit to go through a wall to the outside. The depth is about 6-8". Any tips on how to make sure I am making a level hole ?

Hold the drill straight :rolleyes:
If your really not confident about drilling straight, mark the wall, position drill, then find something to put below the handle to rest on or use as a gauge.

Hitachimad said:
bathroomswap said:

Hold the drill straight :rolleyes:
If your really not confident about drilling straight, mark the wall, position drill, then find something to put below the handle to rest on or use as a gauge.

The idea of holding the drill straight is one of the first I came up with myself. However, as I said before I can see I am drilling horizontally straight form above, I just need my wife to check I am vertically stright from the side.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. :D

Can't remember where but you can buy a small spirit level attachment onto the drill.

nstreet said:
Gcol

Ever tried agreeing with your wife whether a picture frame is square on a wall; left a bit, up a bit, right a bit.

6mm hole will end up 16mm. :p[/quote]

What was I thinking? You're right. :LOL:

Cheers,
Gcol

what are you drilling the hole for thats so critical?

bathroomswap said:
However, as I said before I can see I am drilling horizontally straight form above, I just need my wife to check I am vertically stright from the side.

This is the best way that I have ever found to do this job. Even when you have done this loads of times you will always get a much more horizontal hole if someone is watching from the side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back