How do i fix crack in cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small but annoying problem at the front of my house whereby the cement between the bricks and decorative stone has cracked (see pics). They're not big cracks but i didn't want them to get worse so i mixed up some cement using sand/cement on a 3 to 1 ratio and filled in the cracks (didn't have any tools so just used my finger). The cement only stayed on a few days so i did it again however as you can see from my photos the cracks are back!
I don't have any experience of cement work and my Dad originally told me that it would just fall out and that i should try using a silicone gun with some filler however i thought that would stand out and look unsightly.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix it and what with or should i just leave it? My husband says not to worry as behind the bricks will be breeze blocks anyway.

Sponsored Links
You wont fix these as they are inherent when two different material meet and expand/contract differently.

And attempt to repoint will make the repair stand out more than it does now. If its a major problem to you, then you could rub a thin bead of clear silicone down the crack

Thanks for that. Maybe i should have listened to my Dad after all. My only concern with silicone is that i have used silicone before which claims on the tube that it dries translucent but it actually dried white. This sounds like a silly question but does it actually dry translucent?
If i just leave it will the damp get in?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Listen to hubby for once, you'll have a gap between this skin of brickwork and the blockwork behind. Anything that gets through will just run out at the bottom of the wall.

siliconesealanttransparent2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back