How do I fix this hole?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Some repair work to a leaky pipe under my floor has left with with a hole in the concrete floor around the pipework. What's the best way to fill it in quickly and easily so I can replace the slate tiles on top?

You should be able to see a picture here: //www.diynot.com/network/nickponty/albums/

Thanks very much,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Are they copper pipes buried, unprotected in concrete? Just asking for trouble really. The best remedy would be to dig them all up and either replace them with something above the level of the floor or at least protect them from the concrete.

Yes, I'm afraid they are. We're on tight budget as we've just bought our first home. Insurance has covered getting a leak fixed due to an unsoldered joint, but won't cover getting new pipes throughout or digging the whole lot up and starting again, at least not for a couple of years.

I was going to wrap the pipes you can see in the picture with hessian or something similar before reburying them, but obviously that would only be 1% of the pipework covered.

Edit - sorry I should add, we didn't do the original pipework on the cheap, it was the previous owner, I just mean we haven't got a lot of money to put it right!

Hessian is no good. You need something impermeable like either a physical barrier ( plastic conduit) or tough tape.

The usual recommendation is Denso tape which I have never used but is supposed to be foul stuff to use,

I haven't understood if you are saying this leak was due to the unsoldered joint you mention ( although there are obviously compression/push-fit type connectors visible ) or corrosion which is the concern when copper is buried unprotected in concrete.

Sponsored Links
The leak was just due to a missing bit of solder on one of the joints, no sign of corrosion (so far). Thanks for the advice on how to protect the pipes before I fill the hole, will look to tape them up with something suitable.

Any thoughts on how I might fill the hole itself? Would simply filling it with cement be ok?

Hi,

Some repair work to a leaky pipe under my floor has left with with a hole in the concrete floor around the pipework. What's the best way to fill it in quickly and easily so I can replace the slate tiles on top?

You should be able to see a picture here: //www.diynot.com/network/nickponty/albums/

Thanks very much,

Nick
At the end of the day- whatever you do to that particular area - can only be better than the rest of the area where pipes are buried.
So- 'dont worry'.
My personal tip- would be to wrap the pipes as best you can in Gaffa tape-- 3 layers if possible (thats overkill).
Then - seeing as its a very shallow hole and gonna be tiled over- -- I would fill the hole with plastering sand and cement -- mix- 4 sand to 1 cement .
It's no big deal- so-dont worry .

Copper pipes
Plastic speedfit connectors
Buried unprotected in a concrete floor

This is really the worst possible combination. Don't fill it with anything too permanent, as you can expect leaks to occur again. And again.

Copper pipes
Plastic speedfit connectors
Buried unprotected in a concrete floor

This is really the worst possible combination. Don't fill it with anything too permanent, as you can expect leaks to occur again. And again.

With respect !! stop being a drama queen .
I would'nt 'expect' any sort of leak- anytime soon if done the way I say .
The Op is looking for a solution-within his budget and has been provided with a couple .
Last thing he needs is Mr Doom and Gloom saying to him 'WHAT MAY HAPPEN' in the future .
Over the years I have seen hundreds of instances of copper being buried in concrete etc- and have yet to see any direct problems because of it .
People cast doom and gloom on plastic fittings when they came out --especially plumbers who hated the thought that their little lucrative domain was being invaded and threatened by ordinary people
Plastic is progress !! especially plumbing wise .

I have no useful advice apart from I am going through exactly the same thing (hence having just signed up here!)

I've just bought a flat and now my entire floor has been lifted and the central heating pipework replaced due to leaks and a bodged system.

Good luck getting yours sorted! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back