How do I know if my water softener is working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I paid over a grand for a waterside mc250 as I live in a hard water area.

An endless list of plumbing and heating problems has now culminated in the latest plumber surmising that the poxy softener isn't working, probably never has

Is there a test I can do?

Sponsored Links
Obtain a water hardness testing kit from your local plumbers merchant.
Test the water after the softener,ie the hot outlet.
Its easy to do.
If it isnt working then it probably will not use any salt

The MC 250 came with a testing kit in a small white box with light blue writing,just in case its been "stored" in the garage/shed :)

Sponsored Links
The testing tablets are easy.
Once you've got used to softened water, you'll know at once if it stops working

- the soap doesn't work right
- the teacups get stained and dont wash clean easily with a wipe
- your razor feels blunt-
- your wife has dull, lifeless and scratchy hair
- when you wash your towels, they feel hard.

12 tablets added and still no blue water

Cost me £1100 fitted 7 years ago and its never worked. Just spent £1800 on new heating / water tank. Thanks Waterside MC250. Avoid

JohnD said:
So the best time to complain would have been...

Well until the central heating packed up I had no idea it wasn't working.......

The guy that fitted it didn't know it wasn't working. The guy who came out from the manufacturer to fix the low salt alarm didn't spot it wasn't working. How was I to know it wasn't working?

zeroseven said:
Cost me £1100 fitted 7 years ago and its never worked.

How can you say it has never worked :?: :confused:

May have just packed up :!:

Suggest you speak to the manufacturer and kick up a fuss if you believe the water has never changed since fitting.

I'm sure they would be sympathetic :D

Bahco said:
zeroseven said:
Cost me £1100 fitted 7 years ago and its never worked.

How can you say it has never worked :?: :confused:

May have just packed up :!:

Suggest you speak to the manufacturer and kick up a fuss if you believe the water has never changed since fitting.

I'm sure they would be sympathetic :D

The plumbers who assessed the heating / hot water system said they didn't think it had ever worked judging by the state of the Boilermate 2 which has had to be replaced even though only 7 years old.

Apparently if it had worked we would have noticed a difference in the water, primarily trying to get the soap off when washing. Its never been any different.

I have spoken to the manufacturer, they're sending somebody out - 4th May earliest. £75 for first 15 minutes then £12 per 5 minutes thereafter.

No sympathy whatsoever for the fact it may alwayts have been faulty, even though it was fitted by their recommended company (Renelec) and checked by a technician within warranty period

I would just get a new softener.
That will be £100 at least to tell you its faulty
My Mc250 worked for 4 years and then just kept going wrong
In the end a part snapped off the head somehow.
I have fitted quite a few of them and lots seem to go wrong for no reason.
Not going to fit another :(
Just replaced mine with a Monarch Midi..just hope its better
Water softeners usually need the resin recharging at 10 yrs anyway .

How can they justify that sort of price?

Thats £183 per hour !!!

Would be happy for that per day :)

zeroseven said:
No sympathy whatsoever for the fact it may alwayts have been faulty, even though it was fitted by their recommended company (Renelec) and checked by a technician within warranty period
Well I don't have much sympathy with you, because you spent "over a grand" on something that you never verified was working, therefore it never had any value to you, therefore you have far more money than sense.

Either:

1. It has never worked, and you're blaming all and sundry for not telling you;

or (and much more plausibly)

2. It used to work, then stopped, but you failed to notice and do anything about it.

FFS. :rolleyes:

£75 for first 15 minutes then £12 per 5 minutes thereafter.

Tell them to go and **** themselves :eek:

Blatant ripp off :!: Do they think their machines are essential life saving equipment :rolleyes:

Bite the bullet and remove to the dump and fit a scale reducer for a fraction of the cost.

i have sympathy with the maker (SORRY BUT I DO) damn caps lock

it must have exceeded any waranty and now after 7 years owner is complaining its never worked, may not have been plumbed in right / acording to instructuions, but thats not makers fault.

although i do feel £144 / hour is not right (too much)

breezer said:
i have sympathy with the maker (SORRY BUT I DO) damn caps lock

it must have exceeded any warranty and now after 7 years owner is complaining its never worked, may not have been plumbed in right / acording to instructuions, but thats not makers fault.

although i do feel £144 / hour is not right (too much)

I'm not asking for anything from the manufacturer. I called and asked if there was some way I could check if it was working as I'd been advised it has probably never worked. They offered to send an engineer at some extortionate rate to sort it. I've asked them for nothing. Happy? No course I'm not but I'm not bleating to them about it after 7 years. Not being a plumber or a water expert I took it on good faith that having paid a shed load of money to have something installed it would work. Its not like a tele where you can see if its faulty is it?

As for scale reducer, there has been one fitted from when the house was built. Its so good we decided to spend the money having the softener put in.

Waters tough in South Bucks :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back