How do I paint my bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I've recently bought a free standing acrylic bath. I wanted to paint the outside of it to match in with the room. However, B&Q tell me that it cannot be done as the paint with crack with the movement and heat of the bath. I'm sure this isn't correct plus I've also found a paint at Focus that is for Kitchen Cupboards that also list acrylic bath panels (although not baths). Yes another ship told me to use a Kitchen and Bathroom paint. I'm now very confused.

Can anyone tell me whether I can paint my bath, whether I need to prime it at all and which type of paint would be the best to use.

Many thanks,
Emma

Sponsored Links
for my 2 p worth i would not paint it.

why? because no matter what paint you use, you will only be putting it on the surface, after time if it doesnt crack, fade or split , it will require repainting, how are you going to get it off? cant scrape it, use chemicals as both will / may indent it so making coat uneven.

others may disagree.

no, sand / glass paper, even steel wool will leave fine (all be it very fine) grooves scratches, but wait and see what others think.

you could even go looking for an old bath panel and test it on that

Sponsored Links
Hi - Not sure if this is suitable but there is a spray called plasti-kote, may be worth checking out

there is a product called tubby for baths (not quite sure of the exact name, its that or bath tubby or similar) it comes in a kit and is very good. ive used it on two old roll top baths. it comes in a complete kit and produces a very good finish. i think it can be used on acrylic but not 100% sure.

Thermo

Just found this on the web!

You could try the Mr Tubby DIY Resurfacing Kit which is a durable two-part epoxy-based coating for renovating baths that are chipped, scratched or simply past their best. This proven formula works on worn out, discoloured or badly stained surfaces - saving hundreds of pounds on the cost of replacement or expensive resurfacing treatments. The Tubby kit can be used on cast iron (enamel) baths, steel, plastic, fibreglass, and acrylic baths. It will even cover ceramic and porcelain surfaces which means the entire bathroom suite can be transformed for relatively little expense. Each £39.95 kit contains enough coating and hardener to cover four square metres or one large bath tub. Contact Plumbworld on 01386 768498.
As i say ive used it and yits very good providing you get your preperation right. you need to get the bath very clean,dry and dust free. I then painted it sealed the dorr having left a heater in the room for a few days. the finish was absolultley cracking

it was the first time i used it!
hence why i took all the precautions i described the second time, especially the heater to bake it dry!

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back