How do I protect external fairy light cable? - or attach conduit to a weatherproof enclosure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put the plug in a weatherproof enclosure but I'm having doubts about the life of the cable. It's very thin and I know it'll end up getting snagged at some point if left dangling out of the enclosure. I was going to put the cable into some conduit but how do I connect the conduit to the weather proof enclousure so it remains weatherproof?

Sponsored Links
Generally, you make a point of taking cable into a weatherproof enclosure, from the bottom - as well as ensuring any water/moisture which does find its way in, has a way out. So ensure there are at least some small holes in the base.

I have not bothered, they were set up after Christmas as the outside lights were not working, so moved for being Christmas lights to rapped around the hand rail of my balcony, and been there ever since, they seem to have survived the weather and birds without a problem.

Just wish they didn't flash, but now the outside lights are working again not really required any more, just not go around to removing them.

Sponsored Links
Use trunking (if you insist on protecting it) so you can just remove lid - as opposed to trying to feed the wire through conduit.

(Don't tell me - he meant trunking in the first place.)

As said, make sure the cable or cables emerge from only the bottom of the enclosure box, to prevent moisture running into it.

Thanks for all your input. I'm just gonna wrap it with some spiral binding which should be enough to give it a little more protection.

(Don't tell me - he meant trunking in the first place.)
If he did he's got problems, only resolvable (maybe) by gobbing in silicone.

Flexi conduit, glanded into the bottom of the enclosure, OTOH... (A stuffing gland rather than one of the ones designed to clip onto the end of the conduit.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back