How do I wire 2-way light switches, please? (Ed. )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 way lighting. There is a feed and 3core strapper at one switch and the switch wire and strapper in the other. How can this be connected up to function?

Sponsored Links
Duplicate threads merged
2 way lighting. 3 core strapper and feed at one switch. Switch wire and strapper at other switch. How can this be connected to function?

1700405205145.png

My switch wire and feed are at separate switches, this diagram shows feed and sw at same switch. So my feed is at the first switch and my switch wire is at the second switch

Sponsored Links
2 way lighting. There is a feed and 3core strapper at one switch and the switch wire and strapper in the other. How can this be connected up to function?
I assume you are replacing switches, how are the existing wired?

There is more than one way to install 2 way switching.

Bottom left needs a connector block in switch top right does not, which is main reason to use top right.
two-way-real.jpg
here rings around the cables to show in real case how cables used.

Why would you use a connector block eric? unless you have T & E into one switch position used as L feed and L return.
the "old way" was designed using single (or single and earth) and not T & E (except perhaps the strappers)

Actually, I have heard tell of some using a connector block using the 3CV & E method too. Essentially copying wiring as in bottom left rather than top right.

I will not mention the "two way hamburger" method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back