2 way switching

boz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told there are 3 ways to wire a 2 way switch. the first is withe the active at one switch ,the switch wire at the other, then 2 strappers between the switches. The 2nd way is with the active and switch wires at the same switch ,and three strappers between the 2 switches.But I ma told there is a third way can anyone help with a diagram?

Sponsored Links
its similar but you connect the switch live and live in the middle to the two strappers, you end up with 3 wies at each swicth (not counting earth)

i seem to have lost my rolf hat too, otherwise i would do a drawing

The easiest way, by far, is to take both switch lines (Switch feed and return) to one switch, and run 3 Core and Earth between.

If you have any problems with the switching, it is much easier to sort out as you only need mess about with one switch.

Normally this is also the easiest way to wire it too.

Obviously in conduit the easiest method is one to each switch, and a pair of strappers between.

boz said:
I have been told there are 3 ways to wire a 2 way switch. the first is withe the active at one switch ,the switch wire at the other, then 2 strappers between the switches. The 2nd way is with the active and switch wires at the same switch ,and three strappers between the 2 switches.But I ma told there is a third way can anyone help with a diagram?

Thank you for your reply but I think you have just decribed my second method , which we can call the conversion 2 way . do you know any other method?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
its similar but you connect the switch live and live in the middle to the two strappers, you end up with 3 wies at each swicth (not counting earth)

i seem to have lost my rolf hat too, otherwise i would do a drawing

Thank you for your reply but I think you have decribed my 2nd method , which we can call the conversion 2 way, do you know of any other methods

Boz, the only other method I know of from those described, is to use special switches which are certainly not "off the shelf DIY jobbies"

These are electronic switches that have a communication cable between them, the master switch has the supply from the light, although it also requires the Neutral so a three core comes from the light to feed it. Then a 2 pair alarm or similar cable is run between the switches. This provides a 24V supply to the slave switch and this sends a signal to the master when triggered, turning the light either on or off, or even dimming it is some cases.

However I do not think you mean these!!! :)

boz, the only other way I have seen it done is, in effect, the same as live at one end switch at other and strappers linking the two:

the live and switchwire and two cables to each switch position all terminated in a junction box.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back