How do we ensure a raj does not move sidewards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago we put a rsj in for a door opening. It passed building control. I always wondered what supports it from not moving side wards other than the downwards force and the plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Well is should be level at across the beam(tangent to span) so where is the force which is going to push it out sideways?

Unless it's on wheels with the handbrake off, it won't move sideways.

See Newton's first law.

Most of your house is held in place with gravity, that included. It should be on a flat surface with basically a downward force on it.
Although if your lintel is long enough, you have to worry about whether the bending forces will cause the top edge to move sideways and around the bottom (ie a twist in the middle) but the structural calculation should conform that's not an issue.

Sponsored Links
The question came about because one of the builders I had was hammering the noggings into the the rsj. And it deflated slightly right. I stopped him immediately. But just got me thinking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back