How do you check for porous bricks? and how do you remedy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had an on going problem with penetrating damp for over 6 months now and have been through all the usual ways of trying to fix this. So far I have had the following work done:

:- New Felt and Eaves trays installed with all broken tiles removed and replaced with new ones on the bay window roof.
:- Patch pointing work on the bay window wall including the removal of the virgin media box with this filled in with mortar.
:- Windows re-sealed and ensured there are no gaps for water to enter the wall/windows.

I am wanting to check if the bricks have become porous as I am stuck for any other ideas but I am unable to find ways of testing this. The house was built in approximately 1905.

If it is porous I would be looking into treating this with something like Stormdry Masonry Protection Cream but I have a painted house so I have read this needs removing first. It is a back to back house with only one external wall and I was wondering if there is a rough cost for removing the paint and applying this. Alternatively if there is a way to do this without removing the paint that would be even better.

Any help with either of these points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Sponsored Links
Painting bricks is a crime. Not only does it throw up a maintenance issue but inadvertently disguises and makes difficult find any problems.
If it's a solid 9" wall look at any perished header bricks.

All facing bricks are porous.
Exterior paint should make the wall water repellent.
Waterproofing cream can't be applied over paint because it's not paint and does not work like that.

Where is the dampness?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking I had attached pictures already.

Here is the pictures of the problems and the attempted fixes so far:

Dark Mark1.png

This is the first mark that appeared. This now only appears in the area I have highlighted.

Dark Mark.png

I have had the virgin media box on the left removed now and this area never has a problem. The area I have circled is where the mark appears but it is never bigger than this.

Patch Pointing work and where dark marks appear.png

This is the patch pointing work we have had done and also the window that we have had resealed. I have circled the areas that the marks appear on the inside wall for reference. (The virgin media box is now removed and the hole filled with mortar.

Roof Work1.png

This is the bay window roof that we have had new eaves trays and felt installed and all the broken tiles removed and replaced.

With it being an old house the only "potential" solution I have found/read/been advised of is to do with the bricks becoming more porous and letting too much water through them.

Any ideas or help is appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Andrew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back