how do you cut pipes in a tight gap?

I've seen the 250Q 240v one on Axminster for £160 inc, where have you seen it for £100 then?

when i first saw them i was right up for one - then i saw the price. it's certainly dropped a lot.

Sponsored Links
can the vibration that the fein causes damage welded joints?

I ask as a friends race car (random i know) was using some copper pipes with welded joints on the fuel system and after a couple of laps a joint failed, it was repaired and then another one failed and so on.

it was all soldered up by a local plumber to him, did he just do a crap job or can vibrations damage welds?

Sponsored Links
pretty much, mind you ive pulled soldered joints apart that have been ok for 40 years until i touched them :eek:

for information bosch now have the diy mains and 10,8v battery version as well as the bosch blue mains and 10.8v version

saying that, i think it was on here a few years ago that i read a thread that someone had a gas fire fitted a few years before and a plumber was working away and pulled on a gas pipe and the joint split with no solder there at all? It had been pushed together but forgotten to solder it up and it had not leaked of gas over the years. (something along them lines anyway)

Im sure it was on here i read it?

it does happen, gas is low pressure - maybe 28/1000 (28mb) of a bar above atmospheric, so it's exerting a low pressure.

it's not unusual to have a gas pipe part leaving you looking at a poorly soldered joint.

maybe the pipe you mention was fluxed, and the flux dried out and sealed it, maybe it was just a snug fit ;)

has anybody tried a diamond wire saw to cut copper tube.
Yes. It worked well for the task in hand i.e. cutting a pipe in truly awful circumstances - in a corner, out of easy reach, surrounded by other pipes, very little play, no access to the other ends, etc. It took some effort but mainly in ensuring I got a decent square cut as I only really had one shot at it.

A handy tool to have in your toolbox to get you out of trouble, but not something I'd particularly look forward to using again.

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back