How do you do your Earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really asking about metal back boxes and earth these to your circuit a lot of people have talked about fitting extra fly leads to the back box to the front panel (switch socket ect) but does it make more sense to eart your back box with the incoming cables and fly off to you panel so if it was moved the earth is still intact?

or do you earth the panel and fit a fly back to the box?

Sponsored Links
If you put the incoming earth into the backbox your metal switch will not be earther until you conect it with a metal screw.

Conect the incoming earth to the back of the switch.

Braces and belts would then be to run an earth from the metal switch to the backbox as well.

The earths should go direct to the accessory with a fly lead to the back box.

This is what I was thinking though if the accessory was removed or just the earth from the accessory the rest of the circuit would be without an earth assuming Radial not Ring I was thinking that earthing the back box would be a better approach with a fly lead to the accessory least if the fly lead is not connected properly their would be the screws as a back up and would not affect the rest of the circuit

Sponsored Links
Why would the circuit be re-energised with the earth removed from the accessory or the entire accessory removed?

In my opinion if the face plate has an earth terminal then the earth conductors should be terminated there.

For sockets this is essentail to ensure there is an effective earth connection to the earth in the socket for the applaicance to be earthed.

For metal fronted switches this is essential to ensure the front plate cannot remain live if the switch breaks and live parts come into contact with the front plate.

In both these cases the back box (if metal) will not be exposed while the front plate is in place so its earth is less important and can (possibly) depend on metal screws to the face plate if the screw holes have connection to the earth terminal. One hopes that if the front plate is removed the person having removed it will be intelligent enough to take the correct precautions. But a link between face plate and earth terminal in a metal back box is still a good idea.

It is valid point about keeping the earth continuity should a face plate be removed. ( in theory removing the face plate would also break the Live and Neutral connections as well as the earth BUT if the disconnected section neutral is involved with a borrowed neutral it can then present a hazard so even if Live and Neutral are not connected the earth should remain. That is why I prefer the earths to be lightly wrapped together so they are still in contact even when the face plate has been removed.

I was nor thinking of the home DIYer who might not have tightened the earth correctly in the accessory to which MAY have fell out,

Least if the incoming leads earth the box at least the screws would have acted as a back up to!

if your not sure, earth it.

However, if there is one fixed lug on the back box there is no need to add an additional wire from a metal face to the back box, if using metal screws.

The only time i use the e terminal in a back box is to give the cpc a home to go to when putting plastic switches on.

if your not sure, earth it.

However, if there is one fixed lug on the back box there is no need to add an additional wire from a metal face to the back box, if using metal screws.

You would also have to be certain that continuity would exist (corrosion etc) between the screw and backbox throughout it's usable life.

I've always fitted links, see it as good practice and will continue to do so.

The way I'd look at it is if the switch is removed from the back box there is no point whatever in earthing the now "random" piece of metal in the wall? Since L&N move with the switch then the CPC should too.

You'd have thought it would be feasible to design a socket/switch that incorporated a foolproof connection to the back box if it were metal and make that a standard.

You'd have thought it would be feasible to design a socket/switch that incorporated a foolproof connection to the back box if it were metal and make that a standard.
It's called one of the lugs in the backbox being fixed.

The CPCs connect to the accessory, not the backbox. (except in those instances where the accessory has no earth, such as plastic light switches)
If a socket is removed, the backbox is not connected - but so what? Sockets should only be removed with the power OFF.

Screws should not be corroding, as they are usually made from nickel plated brass, and backboxes are generally galvanised steel.
If those are showing any signs of corrosion, the socket is most likely already ruined and it clearly shouldn't have been installed in that damp or wet environment in the first place.

just ignore the muppet hopefully he will tire of his childish games.

op the correct way is as said in to the accessory and a seperate wire between that and the back box
also worth noting that on double sockets there are 2 earth screws and 1 earth should go to each so creating a ring through the switches as well as the cables.

also worth noting that on double sockets there are 2 earth screws and 1 earth should go to each so creating a ring through the switches as well as the cables.

Not all double sockets have two earth terminals.

I'm not sure what you mean by creating a ring through the switches though :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back