How do you get an inhibitor into a closed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a curiosity Q as plumber will connect up the boiler, but in a sealed, pressurised C/H system, how on earth do you get the inhibitor into it??

Sponsored Links
It can usually be poured in somewhere.

Its fiddly but can be injected into a rad air bleed screw as a last resort.

Tony

Oh I see, so literally remove a valve and pour in with a funnel or something?

Isolate one convenient radiator, and drain some water out of it....if you use something like Fernox F1 concentrate you can inject it through the radiator bleed valve hole - comes with a kit for this.
If the rad has a blanking plug at the other end, remove this and so much the better.
If it hasn't, just allow more water to drain as you inject the stuff in.
Repressurise the system as you bleed the residual air out when the job is done.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you have modern type rads, with a 1/2'' blanking plug on one top corner, and the larger bleed valves on the other top corner, you can use a dosing kit. They fit in place of the cap on a litre bottle of inhibitor. The other end of the hose screws into the thread on the rad when the plug is removed. These inhibitors are usually more ecnomical than the concentrated ones.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-1ltr-filling-kit/98940?_requestid=351153

this is what i have made for this job from the bits and bobs lying about the garage, there are various ways to convert from the wash machine waste spigot (which has a 3/4" BSP thread) to a 1/2" BSP thread to screw into the rad

I like his tip re printing tiles:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTomplum#p/u/0/Yre_f-c9VY4
1.gif

simply put in through the filling loop! can't believe how many struggle with contraptions screwed onto rads! the other easy way is via the towel rail if one is fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back