How do you light your BBQ?

First tip: Pay a bit extra for easy-light charcoal. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Second tip: Don't believe what it says on the bag! :mad: :mad: :mad: Easy-light does light easier than standard lumpwood but I've learnt the hard way that it won't always work without some extra help.

My extra help is a firelighter broken up and spread out in a crude ring shape underneath the charcoal. At the last minute, I supplement this with a dash of lighting fluid then light it in three places (it's a three phase ring :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ).

Richard C said:
Spray on some white spirit (that’s all expensive BBQ lighting fluid is anyway)

Thanks for that tip. You learn something new every day. :D :D :D

More info:

1) I tried briquettes once but never again. You can't be sure how much of them is left and they make a huge amount of ash. They cost more too.

2) I tried lighting gel but it was almost useless. :evil: :evil: :evil:

3) When you're finished, don't just let the charcoal burn itself out. Sprinkle water on it carefully until a quick hand pass tells you it's no longer burning. You can use the remains as part of your next barbecue.

4) Pre-cook chicken joints in foil, let them go cold then reheat on the barbecue until the skin is nicely crisped.

5) The chef needs an adequate supply of Carlsberg Special.

6) Somebody else does the buns.

Sponsored Links
got some easy light stuff... just stick a match to the top 2 corners of the bag.. and away it goes.. great stuff.. topped up with regular lumpwood as it burns down..

Sponsored Links
Gas BBQ :?: :?: No way, might as well not bother, no substitute for lump wood charcoal, food tastes much better.

Wotan

Gas BBQ :?: :?: No way, might as well not bother, no substitute for lump wood charcoal, food tastes much better.

Wotan

Couldn't agree more. I binned our gas BBQ this year. Charcoal / wood gives such a superior taste.

Go to someone elses and let them have the hassle, it all tastes great after a few cans! :LOL: :LOL:

I know someone who actually wraps all his food in tin foil when he BBQ's :eek:

wotan said:
Gas BBQ No way, might as well not bother, no substitute for lump wood charcoal, food tastes much better.

I agree. When I was in the US, I tried out a gas BBQ. The steak was fine but I might as well have stuck it under the grill. :( :( :( It's not just the charcoal that makes the difference. You also need the burning chicken and/or sausage fat and the blackened remains of previous barbies which should still be encrusted onto the wires.

Real Cat does not eat from a little stone dish with "PUSS" written on the side. Real Cat prefers a cracked saucer with the remains of yesterday's food still stuck to the edges. BBQ's are the same. :D :D :D

Wotan

only if you like the taste of paraffin!

Gas Gas Gas Gas Gas. turn gas switch press button, job done. No utterly disgusting inedible food at the end.

Napalm and thermic lance

sterb032.gif

The one one the left might impress the neighbours, but at the end of the day its just a glorified, outdoor New World cooker. The cheap one on the right will be the one that anyone who knows about cooking will use (or something similar with charcoal). Food produced on this will actually taste like barbecued food.

Sponsored Links
Back