How do you light your BBQ?

Sponsored Links
Gas BBQ :?: :?: No way, might as well not bother, no substitute for lump wood charcoal, food tastes much better.

Wotan

only if you like the taste of paraffin!

Gas Gas Gas Gas Gas. turn gas switch press button, job done. No utterly disgusting inedible food at the end.

Why would your food taste of paraffin :eek: I would never use paraffin to light a BBQ & if you can smell or taste white spirit (or BBQ fluid) then you haven’t let it burn for long enough. By the time it’s ready to use, the high temperature will have evaporated all trace of the fluid, if it hasn’t then you’ve not done it properly.

Disgusting, inedible food is not something I dish up but I have one or two friends who are quiet good at it & that’s using a gas BBQ; but then they can’t cook either! :LOL:

I will confress I'm not overly keen on BBQ's so the nearer to being an outdoor cooker for me, the better. I also don't like eating outside much, so the whole experience is a bit flat for me 'fraid.

Sponsored Links
parents were scout leaders, so my entire childhood holidays were spent under canvas with 20-30 other lads..
3-5 weekends a year, and a 2 week holiday during the school holiday.

unless the ground conditions prevented it, we always cooked on wood fires.. ( some campsites have coal seams close to the surface and ground fires were prohibited. )

parents were scout leaders, so my entire childhood holidays were spent under canvas with 20-30 other lads..

And all those prayers for them to become Girl-guide leaders went unanswered. :p

3-5 weekends a year, and a 2 week holiday during the school holiday.

unless the ground conditions prevented it, we always cooked on wood fires.. ( some campsites have coal seams close to the surface and ground fires were prohibited. )
Setting fire to a surface seam could prove interesting :confused:

For many years, the whole side of my wife’s family used to go to Scotland for between 1 & 3 weeks depending on individual circumstances & fancy, staying in several different cottages on the same estate. In 2002 there were so many of us, we decided to spit roast a suckling pig; only one problem which we didn’t take into account was that they don’t actually breed pigs in Scotland so the nearest suckling pig was around 150 miles South; we settled on a whole lamb. Our register spit was made from a lash up of local wood & twine & for the BBQ we dug a 2ft deep charcoal pit filled with 3 bags of charcoal; it looked a bit like we'd buried a body when we filled it in & tidied up the site :eek: . Once it was going & to keep the air out & when the fat from the lamb meant it got bit lively, I used loose soil & water spray to calm it all down. The whole lamb took 5 hours to cook & I’ve never tasted anything like it since but you gotta have a lot of guests to do that.

Sadly, several of the older members of the clan are no longer with us & we haven’t done it since then but I am trying to rekindle the interest with my own kids & their families; the simplest things give the best pleasure so who knows!

PS; I was the cook, can I claim my scout badge ;)

ok, so let me get this straight. Why does a charcoal BBQ "taste better" than a gas one.

First off you are saying the charcoal imparts a BBQ flavour, then on the other hand you are saying that any odours from the charcoal / lighter fluid are burnt off? So whats the flavour ?

Surely the BBQ "flavour" comes from the smoke from the fat that drips off the stuff you put on it? Well that happens in a gas BBQ too, as does extremely poor hygeine of not bothering to clean it afterwards.

No, I am not convinced, dirty old unreliable charcoal vs gas. No contest.

ok, so let me get this straight. Why does a charcoal BBQ "taste better" than a gas one.
Cos it’s cooked over a natural & medieval fuel & heat source.

First off you are saying the charcoal imparts a BBQ flavour, then on the other hand you are saying that any odours from the charcoal / lighter fluid are burnt off? So whats the flavour ?
Surely the BBQ "flavour" comes from the smoke from the fat that drips off the stuff you put on it?
You’re probably about 30% right with that. You don’t seriously think that natural/BBQ cooking is about tasting lighting fluid or food charcoal blackened to the extent you can no longer recognise which animal it came from do you! The smoke from the charcoal, or whatever wood you cook over, makes a huge difference to the flavour. If your only used to eating crap burgers & burnt sausages then you will never, ever notice the difference. Take the time to cook good food (not cheap cut meat or crap burgers & sausages) over a natural heat source & you will be amazed; or perhaps not!

Well that happens in a gas BBQ too, as does extremely poor hygeine of not bothering to clean it afterwards. No, I am not convinced, dirty old unreliable charcoal vs gas. No contest.
Charcoal BBQ’s are only unreliable if you don’t know how to light & use them & there are absolutely no hygiene issues at all if you understand what you’re doing. After you’ve cooked, Just brush off the crusty bits; never, ever clean the fat off the griddle, it will only go rusty in our generally crap & damp environment we have. Next time you cook, all you need to do is heat the griddle in the flames; the temperature will kill any bugs known to man or alien & all you have to do is wipe off the carbon & start again. I agree there is no contest with gas over charcoal; gas will always win hands down if you have no idea about food & can’t cook to save your life but as far as good food & flavour goes, you will never, even beat a natural fire.

Gas BBQ's are only a recent innovation, people have been cooking over wood fires since fire was discovered, some things just cannot be improved up on.
So called progress, for progresses sake is not reason enough.
Tried and tested, is the best, light bulbs are another one, we are going to be forced to use something that is inferior to what we have used for years.

Wotan

they do lamb like that out in greece..
one place we used to go to did it twice a week, and the other restaurants used to come for portions to take away.. ( might have been his brothers restauraunts )
the stuff melted in your mouth...
started cooking it at about 4 in the afternoon, started serving it around 8..

could probably do it with a leg of lamb rather that a whole one, of a half lamb ( I'm sure the butcher would be able to get you one.. )

and I didn't know they don't breed pigs up north..

Gas BBQ's are only a recent innovation, people have been cooking over wood fires since fire was discovered, some things just cannot be improved up on.
So called progress, for progresses sake is not reason enough.
Wotan

People lived in caves, drank from steams, and used the open as a their toilet as well. :LOL:

I still don't understand how "natural heat" (which can't apparently come from natural gas) imparts any flavour what so ever. More to do with bringing out the caveman in you I feel.

I'm gonna take some persuading against gas.

do you or not realise that carbonised food is responsible for the majority of bowel related cancers?

please post the evidence for your assertion

Sponsored Links
Back