Using Charcoal on a Gas BBQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes...i know this sounds stupid, but bear with me. i've acquired a big old outlook gas bbq for next to no cost. i want to use charcoal on it - better flavour etc. am i mad to think that i can just stick a tray containing charcoal into the main 'void' of the bbq and fire it up? just to be clear - i'm not wanting to ever use the gas facility on the bbq, i'm more worried that the heat from the charcoal will be too much for a unit designed for gas. any thoughts gratefully recieved!

Sponsored Links
Looks as though you are on your own, for this one ................
Let us know the results if you proceed with testing

Curious...I'd want to get rid of the gas part (which would be ruined anyway by coal debris, I guess) and in its place would need to be a grille to support the charcoal.
So long as there is ventilation from below, it should work!
John :)

thanks guys. sunday is the big day - i was hoping to give this a trial run today, but ran out of time. i shall report back, unless it all goes horribly wrong, in which case i will wait until i get better and then report back. :) what is also interesting is when you go in to B&Q/ homebase and ask for barbecue stuff (charcoal etc) in october. they look at you as if you are mad. doesn't everyone else bbq in the winter...? we bbq'd a chicken on xmas day a few years back...!

Sponsored Links
Where's the fun in that .......................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back