How do you tell an electrician you are doing it wrong???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After having an over shower bathroom extractor fan installed in the loft and being underwhelmed with the lack of suction of the fan I decided to go up into the loft and check out the electricians work.

I have a 1930s house and there are not any soffits as such just the gap a narrow vent gap between the roof and the brick walls. The electrician has ensured me he has done this many time before but he has wedged the external grill to the gap. Not out of the gap but butted up against the gap to vent the fan. I have to say I have never seen a fan vented in this manner before. What does concern me whilst at floor level you can feel a really strong breeze that is blowing into the loft.................could there be creating pressure in the fan and in turn blowing moisture back into the loft space.

I have the electrician coming back out today.......but are there any experienced people on here that can tell me does this just sound so wrong.

Many thanks

Mandy

Sponsored Links
There are two standard expressions issued by bodgers (and some who should know better), both usually preceded by a sucking of air through the teeth.

No1 is "I've always done it that way"

No2 is "We've never seen that happen before"

As for your particular case. if the vent grill is blowing exhaust into an air stream that is blowing back into your loft then you have a problem.

You'd be better getting the vent ducted up through the roof with a weather cowl termination fitted.

There are two standard expressions issued by bodgers (and some who should know better), both usually preceded by a sucking of air through the teeth.

No1 is "I've always done it that way"

No2 is "We've never seen that happen before"

As for your particular case. if the vent grill is blowing exhaust into an air stream that is blowing back into your loft then you have a problem.

You'd be better getting the vent ducted up through the roof with a weather cowl termination fitted.

I mean I am no electrician but I have to say even I know this method sounds wrong. As I have always thought that when you vent anything that extracts moisture it should be done so it is away from the building or area.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

You've got a cowboy. Moisture in the roof will cause it to rot.

If the vent can't be fitted through a wall then it should terminate through the tiles. Depending on your existing tiles determines the type of vent.

Here's a few examples...

http://www.klober.co.uk/products/br...enduct_Tile_and_Slate_Vents_Product_Guide.pdf

Of course the electrician probably won't want to do the roofwork so ask a roofer to quote.

Sponsored Links
If you could possibly some photos of the handy work and some picture of the location surrounding the installation it would paint a clearer picture.
What dimension are the room being extracted from and what water appliances are within this room and number of external walls?
Also make/model of ex-fan that has been fitted?

Yes he has fitted the ducting wrong but the fans probably crap, most are.

Venting through the soffit is fine when it is done properly, but if there's moisture blowing it to the loft then it clearly isn't...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back