How far apart would steel beams be?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a side extension.
While screwing something in, I hit one of the beams (I assume it's called a beam).

I need to secure 4 tables to the wall. I'd rather screw onto the beams if possible.
Else I have to use the long screws with rawlplug attached.

So... anyway of know how far the beams are apart? I'm guessing building regulations would state they have to be xx meters apart?

I'm trying to save buying a stud finder.

Or... is screwing into the beams not a good idea anyway?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that what you call 'beams' are really upright lengths of timber (or sometimes steel mesh) called 'studs'. It IS better to screw fixings into the studs rather than the plasterboard.
There is no regulation on how far apart the studs are - it can vary from 400 - 600mm. You need a stud-finder.

If you don't want to buy a stud finder, you can also try tapping the wall, or search for the fixings using a metal detector (you can get a phone app to find ferrous metal) or just make a hole and poke a bent rod in(keep away from any electrical accessories)

Sponsored Links
If the wall has plasterboard screwed to the upright studs then a small powerful magnet will let you find the screws that were used to attach the plasterboard. This will give away the position of your studs.

thanks for the replies guys.
when i asked for advice from my local diy shop about screwing into a stud... they told me there was 99% chance that it would be a metal beam and not a stud.

tapping i tried. i guess i'm not good at hearing.

small strong magnet: i tried 20 1mm thin neo magnets... couldn't detect anything.

i'm thinking i might as well buy one.
ebay + amazon - cheap prices.
screwfix - much more expensive - nothing close to ebay or amazon.
how come?

. they told me there was 99% chance that it would be a metal beam and not a stud.

I'm confused. You must have told them something you've not mentioned here. It's this the new outside wall or an internal partition wall?

It's not unusual to use metal studding nowadays but to say '99%' leaves me scratching my head...

I'm confused. You must have told them something you've not mentioned here. It's this the new outside wall or an internal partition wall?

It's not unusual to use metal studding nowadays but to say '99%' leaves me scratching my head...
it's the new outside wall. are they right?
i remember the builders adding metal beams - but not every 1.5m or anything

let me know what you think
thanks

no... plasterboard
further behind is breeze blocks

clip together steel extrusions that the plasterboard is screwed to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back