How far can I run 4" soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...

I'm trying to run a soil pipe from our loft en-suite to 'T' into the upright soil pipe in our downstairs toilet. The overall horizontal distance is less than 6m - but there's obviously a big drop.

What's more... I'm coming out of the side wall of the house... then I've got to come down, (probably about 10 feet) and horizontally (1 in 40)across the front of our extention at 90 degrees, before doing another 90 degree turn to take the pipe through the wall of the downstairs toilet.

Is this crazy?... My biggest concern is that I've got to drop and then come across again. Can you do this, or is it against building regs? Will it cause a blockage at the bend?

I'm trying to avoid using a mascerator - and I know I've got gravity on my side - but the journey is not a simple one!

Any suggestions/feedback would be welcome please!

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell its OK what you seem to have described.

But a drawing is far better.

Either vertical or 1:40 fall

Tony

Hi...

Is this crazy?... My biggest concern is that I've got to drop and then come across again. Can you do this, or is it against building regs? Will it cause a blockage at the bend?

I!
That`s my concern too :cry: . Stay outside and go into a small plastic manhole cut into the underground run from the ground floor toilet . Easy for me to say , and do ;) But not so much for DIY . Should be under Build Control . Also the top of the stack will need an AAV ( durgo ) but I would penetrate the roof with it ( probably reduced to 3 inch ) Just because I can . On balance a macerator is looking more favourable for your DIY - just use it for number 1`s ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi...

I!
That`s my concern too :cry: . Stay outside and go into a small plastic manhole cut into the underground run from the ground floor toilet . Easy for me to say , and do ;) But not so much for DIY . Should be under Build Control . Also the top of the stack will need an AAV ( durgo ) but I would penetrate the roof with it ( probably reduced to 3 inch ) Just because I can . On balance a macerator is looking more favourable for your DIY - just use it for number 1`s ;)

Thanks - Not sure where the undergound run is! There is a manhole cover directly to the left of the extension - but this is obviously just as difficult to get to.

I looked up the AAV. They say it's not essential to go through the roof with it (just as well - 'cos that's beyond me!) - would this be o.k. in the loft space just behind the toilet? Would you need ventilation on the vertical stack outside too?

Would probably only be using this toilet for no.1s anyway :LOL: but toilet paper would potentially still cause a blockage!

Lift manhole cover and ascertain where drain runs, there an existing WC there so drain cannot be far away. Doubtful dropping externally and re-entering the building will impress the B.C.O.! Bends in the 'wet' part of a stack are frowned upon unless unavoidable.

I'll second Nige on his proposals, Macerators are a last resort, fit a 110mm drain once and done properly will give years of trouble free service.

Lift manhole cover and ascertain where drain runs, there an existing WC there so drain cannot be far away. Doubtful dropping externally and re-entering the building will impress the B.C.O.! Bends in the 'wet' part of a stack are frowned upon unless unavoidable.

I'll second Nige on his proposals, Macerators are a last resort, fit a 110mm drain once and done properly will give years of trouble free service.

Thanks - assuming I go for the drain option... who would I approach to carry out this kind of work... a plumber or a builder?

Some plumbers aren't averse to a bit of digging, but depending on work involved (depth, amount of digging etc.), may be a job for a builder to do the underground section, then (up to you), either DIY, Builder or a Plumber for the above ground works. Work will be notifiable under Building Regs.

It may be more of an initial outlay to take this route, but bear in mind macerators wont take any abuse, and are not pleasant to try and sort out when (not if!) they go wrong...... :eek:

Some plumbers aren't averse to a bit of digging, but depending on work involved (depth, amount of digging etc.), may be a job for a builder to do the underground section, then (up to you), either DIY, Builder or a Plumber for the above ground works. Work will be notifiable under Building Regs.

It may be more of an initial outlay to take this route, but bear in mind macerators wont take any abuse, and are not pleasant to try and sort out when (not if!) they go wrong...... :eek:

Thanks very much for the advice - I'll look into that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back