How good or bad is IKEA delivery service?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to buy a new wardrobe from IKEA and use their delivery service.

However, I found out that on the internet, there are many negative reviews about this service, which worries me.

For example:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews13247.html

Could you pls advise whether the delivery service is really bad?

My sincere thanks,

Sponsored Links
I bet if you search long enough you'll find negative reviews about every delivery service in the land so what do you believe. In the end if you want it from Ikea (or anywhere else for that matter) what other choice do you have?

I bought a load of kitchen units for my garage from Ikea. The delivery service was outsourced to another company. I was able to phone up in the morning and get a rough time of delivery.

In the end they couldn't keep to the time as the van got a puncture. They did phone me to tell me this and then phoned when they were on their way to me. In the end they were a couple of hours late.

Overall I would say the service was good.

I believe that IKEA subcontract their delivery service on a store-by-store basis, so for example the two stores in North London both use the same local delivery company, but the one in Glasgow uses a different company.

Most items will be delivered out of store stock if you live near a store, but they also have a national delivery depot which I think is based out of Milton Keynes, and I'm not sure who operates the delivery service there.

Basically it depends where you live and what you're ordering and whether or not it's in stock locally as to what delivery company you get.

Every delivery company has good and bad staff anyway, so it doesn't even matter which company you get, you still might get a lovely friendly and professional guy or you might get an absolute ****.

That said, it's just cardboard boxes of flatpack they're delivering, so how hard can it possibly be :)

Personally, I would always prefer to go to the store and pick it up, since you can pick the box and make sure its in good nick etc, plus you can have some meatballs while you're there!

Sponsored Links
I used them to get some stuff for the kids bedroom,
they turned up on time and all, but then forget to get myself organised to check all the bits that were supposed to be part of the order, so somehow ended up with a drawer front missing, and a few extra bits and bobs i did not order.

Note to self, make a list of the items you bought and check them off the list before shoving them in the garage

The taxi firms local to the ikea in East Manchester have bought a number of mini buses to help with this. Simply go to the store, pick up the goods you want, check boxes are unopened and not damaged, and then phone the taxi firm and ask for a mini bus. That way you get the goods you want at a time you want, and the driver usually helps you unload for a small tip

Delivery was great when I ordered from IKEA - though admittedly I was only ordering bedding. Turned up ahead of ETA and this was at Christmas, so can't fault them at all.

it wasn't a large signed for item though so maybe that would make a difference!

My experience is absolutely a nightmare to get in contact with IKEA but delivery fine and returns no problem, once you get through on the phone!

Delivery of large items are done by their own delivery service as a rule and found them always helpful and prompt.

Small stuff is sent by Royal Mail and usually arrives in a crumpled box!

forget to get myself organised to check all the bits that were supposed to be part of the order, so somehow ended up with a drawer front missing, and a few extra bits and bobs i did not order.
And that's the problem I was going to highlight. I've never bought anything from them that I couldn't get home myself, so I've never experienced the delivery service, but were I to my worry would not be the delivery service itself, it would be that they would just go and pull the boxes off the shelves and deliver them, and you cannot, you absolutely cannot rely on the contents being undamaged (even if the boxes are fine) or correct or complete.

Their quality control is awful, and I will not buy anything from them without opening the boxes, checking the contents, counting the widgets etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back