How good was he..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...as a football manager I mean.
There's been a great public outpouring of emotion over bobby's death, some reports have put him as the last of the great football managers.
He came across as a really nice guy, but aside from that what did he ever do in football in this country to be ranked alongside the likes of Shanks, Busby, Paisley Clough etc? Sorry, I can't see it. Great fella, yes. Great manager, don't think so.

Sponsored Links
Some people are going OTT, even describing him as Newcastle's best ever manager.
However, for winning trophies in 4 different countries and in Europe, whilst gaining pretty high levels of success internationally, I'd say he was closer to a great manager than just an average one.

That would make him a good manager then, fair comment.
Incidentally, wouldn't being a good manager qualify him as Newcastles best ever? :evil:

He was a great bloke, manager, not at all bad. Great? No. Still to find a true gentleman in footie, I won't have a bad word said against him. RIP.

Clough, pleeeeeeze!! What a complete and utter plank.

Sponsored Links
i think you have to look at his achievements in persepctive.

he built ipswich up on homegrwon players that he developed. when they won the uefa cup the team contained only 3 players that had been bought. they were runners up in teh league 3 times and won the fa cup, when it was a real achievement to win it.

he took england through the two world cups and was sooooo agonisingly close in 1990. i honestly belive we would have won it if we had won the penalties.

he masterminded various european clubs both domestically and in european competitions.

you only have had to watched the bbc programme on him last night to see how good he was at spotting talent, moulding and nurturing it.

In my eyes he was a great manager, i dont think there were many in his era to really come close.

He was an arrogant pr1ck, but you can't argue with taking two smallish clubs to league titles and taking one of them to two european cups. Robbo nice as he was never managed anything like that, maybe if he had Peter Taylor as an assistant??

As far as I remember he didn't, he went to an average club in Derby and won the league, twice if I remember right. After the first success they probably generated some money with extra fans etc. Then he repeated the feat with Notts Forest, and as far as I remember they were distinctly average when he joined them.

he definetly had money at forest. trevor francis?

I think they bought him with the money they made from winning their first european cup

dont think so he scored the winner in the first cup against malmo!

still a good manager though, just very different types

He was an arrogant pr1ck, but you can't argue with taking two smallish clubs to league titles and taking one of them to two european cups. Robbo nice as he was never managed anything like that, maybe if he had Peter Taylor as an assistant??

How he got there is inexcusable. Vile man.

Yeah, sorry just checked and you're right, they bought him halfway through that season. But don't forget that was the year after they won the league, and they were also well on into europe, which was probably how they could afford him.

I was never a fan of Clough's, but wonder what you mean here, could you expand on that a bit.

Yeah, sorry just checked and you're right, they bought him halfway through that season. But don't forget that was the year after they won the league, and they were also well on into europe, which was probably how they could afford him.

I was never a fan of Clough's, but wonder what you mean here, could you expand on that a bit.

Don Revie. nuff said, clough, vile.

Sponsored Links
Back