How hard is it to become Part P certified?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Different Schemes have different requirements for qualififications

Elecsa for instance only require 16th ed G&G to join, you are then given 12 months to get up to 17th.

If you join them then you can sign off your own work (self certify) to part p.

NICEIC require that you have traded for at least a year before joining, quite how you are to have achieved this without being able to self certify is beyond me.

Martin

Sponsored Links
NICEIC require that you have traded for at least a year before joining, quite how you are to have achieved this without being able to self certify is beyond me.

Martin
You could be a member of another scheme and move over to NICEIC. Similar model to a car insurance company that will only take drivers over 50. NICEIC appear to have higher entry standards than the minimum, no doubt they have a good reason for doing this.

Don't know about the length of time in business requirement, but NICEIC's minimum qualification requirement is shamefully low.

Sponsored Links
How could you trade for a year using the LABC route to notify jobs, Locally it cost £287 per job. Are you goig to be able to put that on top of a consumer unit change and make a profit?

As for the standards that they are looking for:- It is a working knowledge of the regs in a practical situations. The assessor will want to ask enough questions (around 60 ish) and get correct answers, to demonstrate you are familiar with the regs and write down your answers and the section number that they relate to (in order that her work can be audited back at the office). If you are not sure about one or two she will allow you to look it up. However if you tried to look up more than a couple I think it would go against you.
The questions tend to cover the whole of the book that relates to domestic installation.

That the entry level for a scheme is very low, is a reflection of the fact that the scheme does not want to be seen as a closed shop. And that there can be many routes to competency.

If NICIEC only want to steal other schemes customers I think that is unfair. Personally I think they wanted to corner (and have) the kitchen fitter market. Most of the kitchen fitters I meet say yeh mate I am ffin NIC innit, and still tell me how the regs are a waste of space.

Martin

How could you trade for a year using the LABC route to notify jobs, Locally it cost £287 per job. Are you goig to be able to put that on top of a consumer unit change and make a profit?

They don't specify that you have to have completed any notifiable work to join, just that you've traded for a year, that's easy enough and I know from people I've met on courses that it's also easy enough to pretend you have.
You could be doing it in your spare time too just touching replacements and repairs whilst passing notifiable work on to a mate.
I'm not sure they actually mention that you must've been trading as an Electrician either so a 15yr Plumber who's just concocted a few imaginative Earthing scenarios in his time would qualify too.

I heard somewhere recently that one of the scheme providers is going to insist on new members having a 2392 qualification now which is common sense really and all should follow suit.

I'm currently doing a 2382 course at college and you'd be surprised how many long term blokes are on it and they're not all going to join schemes and you'd also be surprised how little they know about the regs, any version, that's not to say they're not good Electricians by the way.

I'm currently doing a 2382 course at college and you'd be surprised how many long term blokes are on it and they're not all going to join schemes and you'd also be surprised how little they know about the regs, any version, that's not to say they're not good Electricians by the way.

Actually that is to say they're not good electricians.

They may be perfectly able skilled labourers, but any electrician without a solid understanding of the regs (sadly. the vast majority) are not really worthy of the title, undefined though it is.

I heard somewhere recently that one of the scheme providers is going to insist on new members having a 2392 qualification now which is common sense really and all should follow suit.
NAPIT have always done that, and they have never had any truck with the Qualified Supervisor chicanery.

NAPIT have always done that, and they have never had any truck with the Qualified Supervisor chicanery.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Jeez, bas, NAPIT will let you in with no qualifications whatsoever and let you sit them at their own test centres within the year.

And plenty of NAPIT-registered companies operate with a 'QS' in exactly the same way as all the other schemes.

JohnnyG said:
They don't specify that you have to have completed any notifiable work to join, just that you've traded for a year, that's easy enough and I know from people I've met on courses that it's also easy enough to pretend you have.
This is something I've been wondering about for a while too.

They don't state this, however they do insist on having two pieces of work that they can come and assess as part of the membership process.

How do you provide work to be assessed if work hasn't been completed?
And how do you complete the work beforehand if you're not authorised to complete it? As someone has already said, it's not feasible to trade for 12 months notifying everything to LABC with the fees required.

JohnnyG said:
This is something I've been wondering about for a while too.

They don't state this, however they do insist on having two pieces of work that they can come and assess as part of the membership process.

How do you provide work to be assessed if work hasn't been completed?
And how do you complete the work beforehand if you're not authorised to complete it? As someone has already said, it's not feasible to trade for 12 months notifying everything to LABC with the fees required.

They (most that I spoke to) say it can be on your own property and another job can be "in progress" so there is no reason to drag any customer into a potential limbo land should you fail the assessment. But there is no way you could trade for a year, actually as I write I realise my builder mate does the LABC route on his "big" jobs, fortunately for the gen public he does not do many.

The 2392 qualification is barely a year old, do you mean they've always done it since it's been introduced?
|
Err - no - carelessness on my part - I meant they had always required the I&T qualification, whatever its number happened to be.

If they have abandoned that, and now admit anybody who can get 75% or more when asked "what is your name?" then their degree of prostitution is even more shameful than NICEIC's.

Have they also abandoned the 'individuals only' policy?

Not according to this:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/734995.pdf

Mind you, that was nearly 2 years ago... :(

Interesting document - I've not read it all, and probably never will, but one bit caught my eye..

The annual on-site inspection of the work of registered installers is the
primary mechanism for ensuring that their work complies with Building
Regulations. The very low numbers of registered installers asked to leave by
scheme operators (less than half of one per cent) implies that the initial
assessment and on-going inspection process is working.
Or it implies that neither are working.

So there was never a time, before Part P and the self-certification schemes, when NAPIT only registered individuals, and did require the C&G I&T qualification?

If so then that's something of which many NAPIT members themselves were unaware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back