How hard is it to fit your own flu liner?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Any ideas? Anyone done it themselves? I just wondered how essential it was to put scaffolding on the roof or whether I could just use a ladder.

I'm asking because I've had two quotes, one for £1,300 and another for £250! But I can't tell whether someone is simply trying to rip me off and the other doesn't know what he's talking about.

Any suggestions very welcome...

Sponsored Links
A flexible flue liner?

All you need is a ladder, a roof ladder, some string, sand & cement, the flue / associated bits and nerves of steel :LOL:

How tall is your house? If you have a 5 storey job in the middle of Aberdeen, forget it. If you have a 1-1/2 storey cottage then £1300 sounds ok if a scaffold has to be hired. £250 might be ok if the guy owns a tower which will reach.

If you want to do it yourself, and you do not have safety gear, would you like to pay £1300 for a broken leg? (or worse). If not, contract the broken leg to someone else.

A flexible flue liner?

All you need is a ladder, a roof ladder, some string, sand & cement, the flue / associated bits and nerves of steel :LOL:
Aye and watch the ELF and safety mob have a field day as they spot you clinging to the chimney frozen with fear .

Sponsored Links
It also rather depends which flue.

If you have a condensing boiler and someone is trying to fit Turboflex+ down the chimney, it cannot be done from a ladder.

If it is a non condenser and it's just a bit of Copex, then it can be done.

Does anyone know if its acceptable for a contractor to use an access tower for roof work on flues and gutters?

I dont see many using towers any more!

Have they been outlawed by some legislation?

Tony

Make sure the correct flue liner is being used appropriate to the fuel being burnt.

Looks easy. :LOL: from where I'm stood the ground is 50 ft :eek: and this was an easy one.

Imgp1180.jpg

Imgp1181.jpg

Make sure the correct flue liner is being used appropriate to the fuel being burnt.

Yeah, like make sure if it`s coal you need a coal flue liner. :LOL: or if it`s an electric fire you don`t wanna be using a combi flue liner or nuffink. :LOL:

I would take the pictures out and post them without the web page.... but I don't know how to :(

If anyone can point me to the instructions I'll give it a go.

Where we've used twin walled Chimneyflex I've had to use scaffolding, the weight of the stuff would just take you, and the ladder, off the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back