Condensing Boiler Fluing Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - if anyone has any help on this particular problem I would be most grateful

We are replacing an old Worcester Bosch boiler with a new W/B Greenstar Condensing Boiler.

The boiler has been sitting in my hall for weeks now as my plumber and W/B argue about the fluing options.

I can't simply replace the flue as is because it gives onto my neighbour's drive which, due to the 'plume' put out by a condensing boiler, is not allowed. I want to take the flue up the outside wall and vent just above the eaves.

Here is the problem - W/B technical bods say that the flue they provide is not suitable for outside fixing. I really do not want to tear my house apart running a flue up the wall, through the ceiling, up another wall, through the ceiling, through the roof tiles etc etc.

Has anybody encountered a similar problem??

Does anyone have ay suggestions as to how I can flue the boiler up the outside wall??

Thanks for your help,

Nigel

Sponsored Links
not if the manufacturers so no

their word is law end of story,

try another maker

Boilers are available with flues that can be extended externally, notably Vaillant, Glow worm and Keston. The Keston ones allow for very flexible and low cost flueing solutions since they use 50mm uPVC waste pipework.

The flue cannot run externally to a point of your choice. External flues (look at roof terminals) are suitable for external use, and internal flue for internal use only.

If WB say internal flues cannot be used externally, I would follow their advice as manufacturer's installation must be adhered (see Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations). To do otherwise would mean no warrenty on the product

Sponsored Links
I fitted a Glow Worm last week with a 1.5m external flue which took me above the garage roof, then fitted an elbow to take the plume back over the roof away from neighboring property. WB have been a bit slow addressing the pluming problem & as far as I know they do not have any pluming kits planned for the near future.
Send the WB boiler back & get a boiler that has a pluming kit available for it.

Thanks guys,

Keego - were it not for the fact that W/B provided the new boiler free of charge (in replacement for the exisiting one which they have condemned!!) I would send it back. However, I am not made of money so I can't afford to get rid of the new one and splash out on a different make (believe me I would like to).

Would it be possible to use another manufacturers flue kit with this boiler - would a G/W flue fit to a W/B boiler?

W/B reckon they have something new coming from Germany in March or April, I may have to wait until then.

All the best,

Nigel

would a G/W flue fit to a W/B boiler?
Absolutely not!

WB claimed their plume management kit would be available in January 2006. :rolleyes:

Sell it on ebay & get yourself a glow worm with the proceeds.

Relocate boiler or sell it. No other options, just get on with it, bight the bullet, stop being so indecisive, you sound like my sister.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back