How Important Is a Very Sunny Back Garden?

Saw another house today - close to perfect, with a lovely south facing garden. But, 2 bedrooms fewer, and £50k more ....

Sponsored Links
Double whammy. Keep looking. I get the feeling this is a compromise purchase, and you're not that happy with it.

When you do find your perfect house, make sure your missus curtails any obvious enthusiasm. My missus said in front of the owner " I do love this house, I can see me living here" which blew away any negotiation room I had on the asking price. :(

The rear elevation of my property faces south. My back garden and patio gets the sun (on sunny days only of course) till about 5.30-6 pm this time of year then shadow from the house gradually creeps up to the back fence. This suffices for me and the squaw. We sat out in the garden yesterday afternoon drinking stubbies. By the time the shadow was creeping towards us it wasn't warm enough to sit out anymore anyway.

Sponsored Links
When you do find your perfect house, make sure your missus curtails any obvious enthusiasm. My missus said in front of the owner " I do love this house, I can see me living here" which blew away any negotiation room I had on the asking price. :(

I just saw your post Doug. I had to laugh as it reminds me of when I was selling a car. I was just about to close the deal when my wife walked up and remarked 'what a good job the bodyshop people had done as they nearly wrote it off you know'.

Update. We pulled out of the small north facing garden, and then a week later, a huge south facing garden came on the market. Offer accepted. Lots of work to do. Probably not enough money!
See threads re, removing driveway, external wall insulation, building loft conversions, and rear extension ..... aarrgghh!
Now need to start sending money to surveyors ....
I think I found a building surveyor in Essex to use, but if anybody wishes to recommend a local one, now is the time.

Back