My bedroom getting very hot when sunny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my bedroom has got 3 windows; 1 faces east, rest faces south. above there is a loft. bedroom is 14sq meters, brick walls, double glassing windows, as We have a new born we can not make a draught , so I tried to put the second layer of insulation in the loft ,only above that bedroom, We tried air con, which resulted all of us getting a bad cold, I tried covering the windows facing south with kind of a foil, to reflect sun heat-but the problem still there.
even when the sun goes down in a late evening temperature stands 27 degree, after making a draught it drops by 1 degree, but when we close the windows in 15 minutes it is back to 27 , outside temp at that time is max 18.
on other hand on one day there was no sun, only in the afternoon sun showed up for 2 hours only and then the room temp risen up.

and I'm not sure where is the heat coming from, from a loft or from through the windows, the next step I am going to try is window film to reflect sun heat, but would it work? has anyone got an idea, how to make my bedroom cooler? many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the main problem is solar gain, I would apply window film; also put some foil-backed insulation in the loft above the room, above what you've already put there.

I don't see why air conditioning would give you a cold. If you have a portable air conditioning unit, use that and adjust it to suit the temperature you want to achieve.

Sponsored Links
in my humble optnionyou need to open a window in the room prop the door open and open a window on the opposit side of the house and get some airflow

you must keep new borns out of "COLD" draughts as they cant regulate there own temperature very well

i think you are being over cautious[understandably]

why not phone up nhs direct and ask them!!!

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

I'm told that babies are at more risk if they overheat (can cause brain damage, convulsions etc) than if they get cold.

At this time of year the little mite is unlikely to suffer hypothermia.

BTW you can get good ventilation in hot weather by opening the loft hatch, and a window. the hot air rises up into the roof space. when the temperature drops, the airflow reduces.

If the room has been very hot all day, the walls will be warm and they will give out this heat to warm the air again as soon as you shut the window.

many thanks for your replies, feel free to add some more, thanks again

Air con wil not give you all a cold.
We use ceiling fans for when it's a little too warm and a portable air con unit when it's very warm. No problems whatsoever.

FWIR a simple blackout blind also keeps the suns heat out fairly well.

MIght be worth a try.

Clean/service your air-con and use that. Replace the filters if you're sure it's the air-con that spread the cold virus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back