How Important Is a Very Sunny Back Garden?

Sponsored Links
No problem with no sun on the back wall, that's pretty appealing really.

I used to play golf with a (very competent) amateur astronomer.
A north-facing garden was pretty much his first prerequisite when house-hunting, so he could site his observatory.

I used to be an amateur astronomer myself! But, no more. That house is next to useless for astronomy i I'd need to chop all the trees down and cut all the electric cables ....

Sponsored Links
I almost get the feeling you're asking us for a reason not to take it, yet a lot of your comments indicate that it's just what you like, but what do the rest of the family think. Shouldn't this be a joint decision between all of you.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Well, me and my wife both like it, and have obviously discussed a great deal. Kids are less keen, but, they don't like the idea of moving anywhere. They will have bigger bedrooms and a playroom if we move, but they don't seem impressed at the moment! Sounds like an xbox1 + smart TV bribe might win them over though ....

Plus, being in Essex would not be conducive to good skies

It's not Hawaii, but it ain't bad. Get some nice clear nights around here. Nowhere in the UK is really great for astronomy!

I almost get the feeling you're asking us for a reason not to take it, yet a lot of your comments indicate that it's just what you like, but what do the rest of the family think. Shouldn't this be a joint decision between all of you.

That's because we've been in 2 minds. It really is a case of perfect house in perfect place. If this house had a decent garden in this area, it would probably be £50k more, and far too expensive for us. As it is, it is as much as we can afford. Everything else we have looked at is either too small with no possibility of extending, or OKish but a bit too far, or nice, but not detached (there seems to so many link-detached houses in the area).

I think we are now set on it. Made an offer, accepted, just hoping they now find somewhere to move to......

Actually, it might be great for astronomy ... so long as I am happy to be restricted to a relatively small part of the sky - sort of above and to the east. Should see the planets rise in the summer, and plenty of things visible to have a look at, plus all those trees will block out a lot of the artificial light. Will have to dust off the old telescope and see what's there!

I think the astronomy point is that he could build his observatory at the end of the garden facing south.

The same, of course, applies to the sun.

Yeah, with big gardens it really does not matter what way it faces, unless you really like a scorching patio by the house!

South and west facing gardens are good for sitting in in the afternoon and evening; great for socialsing and barbecues. North facing ones can have a bit of sun in the morning (coffee time in the summer, but tend to be colder all year round. But they can be good for growing wild garlic, it makes great pesto.

Beyond that, it's pays yer money, and takes yer choice.

Good luck with your prospective purchase. Few of us can find or afford a home that's perfect in every way.

Good luck with your prospective purchase. Few of us can find or afford a home that's perfect in every way.
I'm not sure such a thing exists, Dave: there are always compromises, even with ample budgets.
Of relevance at the moment seems to be, the more expensive the house, the more determined / "professional" / ruthless the miscreants that target it.

Sponsored Links
Back