How Important Is a Very Sunny Back Garden?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a massive dilemma.
Found a nice house. Perfect house in great location. But, north facing garden. It gets sun from April to September, I reckon (I saw the sun at the back of the garden at the start of April), but has big trees to the west (other side of lane) which block out sun from about 3pm.

I think this aeriel shot must be from about April time. June, lots of sun. Plus, front gets plenty of sun, although at the moment just block paved.

Trying to decide, is this what I really want?? I don't like the sun much, but do enjoy it at times. At the moment, we have a west facing garden, which is sunny all day, but the late afternoon sun is a killer in the rear facing lounge - I'll be glad to see that go! Thoughts? Confused....

house above.png

Sponsored Links
Frankly I would avoid it. Can't grow anything and sun is everywhere you don't want it. The fact you thought about it means it's important to you as it is to most. Some people genuinely don't care and that is the market for that house.

I am not bothered about growing things. In fact, planning artificial grass and white washing the fences! It's just the light, warmth.
I am still not sure. I guess I know the arguments for and against. If I put it to vote, south will win!

South here. Entirely up to you. Everything in life is half chance :)

Sponsored Links
I do know that if I crave the sun, there is always the possibility of putting a bench at the front. It's a quite lane, and you never know, people might actually say hello!
What worries me most is it getting cold when having a bbq etc. and people just wanting to go in ...
hmmmm.
Shame, no nice south facing houses on the market that we can afford!

South facing won't justify THAT much more. Maybe a few thousand. I think for the most part it's the layout that counts and what else is going on in the road. That garden will be cold though there is no doubt about it. I suppose if you don't mind it not being directly on you it won't make a difference in the heat of summer, but how many do we get of those in this country? If you're in a rush you're in a rush, but if you don't need to rush, wait. As said, I'd give it a pass and hold out for something better.

Con's - rubbish for gardening but gives shade on those rare sweltering summer days when sitting in the full sun is a bit too much. Garden remains damp and horrible for 7-8 months of the year, grass doesn't grow very well but fungus does.. Lots of slugs & snails in my experience.

Pro's for south facing = warm sunshine, great for gardening. And it gives the choice for the future. One day you may get into gardening, or want a lush green lawn, or have lots of summer parties & BBQ's. Then you could change your mind without changing your house ;)

I have north facing, I wish it were south. Saying that, living down a lane in peace and quiet, yeah, I could see the merits of that over a south facing garden for sure.

Having experienced a south facing garden with a patio/lawn/bbq et al, I could not envisage living without one.

Have you got kids ? Are you out at work all day and out at weekends?

Yes kids, yes work. In at weekends, and afternoons.

we dont have a garden anymore..do not miss the extra work 1 bit!.

Well, feeling more positive today. Walked past at 9am and the garden was in full sun, so mornings will be lovely. Gets sun at back all day, til about 3pm I think - will check later. Might actually be a nice set up.

durhamplumber, I'm hoping to make it close to maintenance free, with artificial grass, climbers on the fences and somewhere for the bbq.

Well, feeling more positive today. Walked past at 9am and the garden was in full sun, so mornings will be lovely. Gets sun at back all day, til about 3pm I think - will check later.
You haven't got that quite right.

If facing due north (not quite judging by the picture) -

The sun will be below (south of) the line of the the back wall for twelve hours a day - causing the house to cast a shadow of varying size in the garden during these hours.
It will be full of sun again in the evenings, March 21 to September 21, for up to a few hours.

The sun will never shine on the back wall the rest of the year.

Sponsored Links
Back