How important is radiator location in a room?

Says it all.....
tl3c.png

It says fook all.

Do you own a thermal imagine camera?

I do.

Do you want me to take images of my exterior walls where the rads are fitted.

Idiot.

To an idiot like you it says fook all.
It where a stoopid plumber placed the rad under a window in a solid walled construction build with a modern double glazed unit.

Sponsored Links
Dom Robison wrote
Have had standing battles with stooopid interior designers over curtains, windows, rads and trvs.

I'll bet you do. I'd like to see you install rads here in the province on new build sites.
You'd be a laughing stock.

Sponsored Links
I'd hardly be using the uk new build market as a bastion of quality house building.

Well here in the province we know how to build quality homes and know that placing radiators under windows is not important anymore.

You stick to the two up/two down hovels with the 2m wide windows. Suits you fine.
Your friend onetap will be along shortly to teach you more about the anaconda effect. LMAO :LOL: :LOL:

Ok Norc... you carry on. Those on here that know me and my work will know that I can muster a tad more than 2 up 2 downs. I notice, like Johnny you avoided direct questions.

You have linked to nothing of relevance and demonstrated little more than average googling. But knock yourself out ;)

I would trust Onetap's afternoon bowl movement over your opinion, he knows his eggs as well ad onions - and whilst I don't always agree with him, I do respect his experience and background.

You I am afraid have done nothing but demonstrate mediocre web abilities.

I would trust Onetap's afternoon bowl movement over your opinion, he knows his eggs as well ad onions - and whilst I don't always agree with him, I do respect his experience and background.

You I am afraid have done nothing but demonstrate mediocre web abilities.

Its nothing to do with my opinion muppet. The proof is in the new builds here in the province.
Onetap is a desk jockey and always will be. Has never plumbed a new build in his life. Only has the books I'm afraid.
I respected his opinion once also until he started waffling on here.

Onetap wrote

It makes no mention of the very valid reasons for placing heat emitters under windows

No s**t Sherlock. Valid maybe for old single glazing.
Not for modern highly insulated glazing units.

Quite.
So, IF they'd said something to the effect that;
'radiators were/are traditionally placed under windows because (insert relevant reasons here)'

and then measured low/high level draughts and/or air temperature distribution at representative points in the room for single/ double/ triple glazing,

and /or for various outside temperatures,

and/or for various ratios of glazing or outside wall heat loss/total heat loss,

then their study might have been worth reading.

They didn't and the study does NOT 'support your opinions.
You really were clutching at straws in quoting a study from a Teheran university.

My impression is that the valid logic behind the radiator placement has gone right over their heads.

The reasons for placing the rads under windows is not efficiency, it is more to do with comfort.

I'm fairly certain that someone has been through this with CFD and the answers are out there.

Onetap is a desk jockey and always will be. Has never plumbed a new build in his life. Only has the books I'm afraid.
I respected his opinion once also until he started waffling on here.

You're quite right about plumbing new builds (other than my own); I designed a few though. I sort of packed up the plumbing work when my career & qualifications took me into other areas.

The Coanda effect is more relevant to the throw of air diffusers, so a plumber installing domestic heating systems is unlikely to know of it. It is relevant to this and helps explain why a cold draught from a closed window will go roaring across the entire width of a room whilst the warm draught from a radiator will remain firmly stuck to the ceiling, making no impression on the frozen occupants.

AS mentioned, I have stood in a room and felt the cold draught flapping my turn-ups and blowing around my ankles. It was thoroughly unpleasant. That had internal fan-coil heaters; internal radiators would have aggravated the effect.

rads go under windows.

forget those fancy well insulated new builds.

they wont last more than 5 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back